Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

1997 ford expedition: my rear differential..nothing wrong..joints

Customer Question

I started hearing a clunking sound on my 1997 ford expedition. I took it in to check out my rear differential, I was told there is nothing wrong. So I took it in to check my u-joints, and also was told they were fine. They both said that they don't hear any sounds. But when i jack up the rear end and give it some gas you can defidently can hear the noise. I thought the noise was in the rear but I guess it's in the front, probably the vibration makes it sound like in the rear. I only hear the noise when my tires accelerate and deaccelerate. HELP!
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 11 years ago.
You can't check it that way. That sound is normal because the wheels are not turning at the exact same speed which causes the spider gears to engage and they are normally noisey under those circumstances. On the highway the wheels rotate at exactly the same speed so the spider gears are idle and not moving at all..
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: Even if the truck is not jacked and just driving on surface streets, it makes that sound! Could it be my gears in the front, or something like that?
It can be many things. It can be a bad wheel bearing. It can be cupped up tires causing road noise or the mechanics could be right and it's normal. When you get on a quiet flat road and hear the noise, try swerving side to side to see if that changes the noise. That's loading and unloading different wheels and will bring out anything that is wheel specific.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: Let's say it's the wheel bearings, what type of indications would let me know if that is the problem? Also I will try the flat road thing that you suggested. Would anything have to do that, I recently put bigger tires & wheel adapters on my truck? If you didn't know that my truck is raised but I do not go off roading, all surface streets. My truck hasn't lost any power nor feel any different besides that clanking noise. Tell me your thoughts!! Thanks...

Shawn

You say you had the truck raised and bigger tires put on, did this noise start then?

Is the angle of the driveshafts too severe now?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I've had big tires since last november. I recently went from 35 to 37's at the end of may. So what types of indications would let me know if the ball joints are out?
You need to jack it up under the control, near the wheel and put a prybar under the tire while someone watches the ball joints for movement.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
If the ball joints are all ok then what next should I check?

Shawn
Your going to have to get a "hands on" inspection by a drive line specialist. I can guess at things all day long but if I heard the noise I could probably tell you instantly. It's a far reach to diagnose noises over the Internet.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
ok, let's say your driving your truck and your hearing a clatter sound beneith you. No loss of power eveything seems to be working same as normal. What are the top three things that you would check first.   Actually the sound sounds like ta dink dink. As you go faster it goes faster & as you go slower it goes slower. Tell me what you would do!! Thanks

Shawn