Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.

1987 Ford Ranger: four wheel drive..the relays to turn on..Manually

Customer Question

I have an 1987 Ford Ranger four wheel drive, 2.9 engine, when I turn the key to start it I can not get the relays to turn on. It does turn over. Manually they work but not with the key? Can you give me any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 11 years ago.
Just what relays are you try to turn on? Are you saying the engine won't crank over with the key?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: The relays that activate the fuel pumps, and the ignition system are not turning on with the key.

The engine turns over with the key, but the ignition relay and the fuel pump relay are not turning on.

As you will see in the schematic, the one common denominator to the fuel pump relay and the EEC relay is a fusable link "C". The confusing part it it also supplies the starter relay. Check the yellow wire for power to see if it's OK. The ignition switch is the other source of power for the EEC relay. Follow the schematic to determine just where you are losing things. I will be glad to answer any follow ups about the schematic if youneed me to, even if you accept now. Any bonus consideration would be greatly appreciated.

Copyright © 2002 Delmar, All Rights Reserved.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: I've already checked the wires for power. Yes, I have replaced the relays with new ones. The red and light green wire on the EEC relay is the one that turns off with the key. All the rest of them stay hot.
That means the EEC is firing up. What's happening to the fuel pump relay?