Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

2004 Volkswagen Passat: cylinder..I add the transmission fluid??

Customer Question

I own a 2004 Volkswagen Passat 1.8 4 cylinder . Where do I add the transmission fluid??

Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
there should be two dip sticks one for the motor and one for the transmission, im not sure if your vw is a front wheel drive or not or even where the motor is located but it will have the word "trans" on top of the stick. or check your owners manual it will tell you for sure
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 11 years ago.
They don't give the owner a way on a lot of the new VWs. I'm not positive about the Passat. I know the bug and all the Audi's are that way. Your going to have to contact your dealer for specifics. There is a special way of injecting it into the trans from what I understand.
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience: ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: No dipsticks that is why I am puzzeled. This is not A tyical
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: That is what I was afraid of. there are no dipsticks , and no way to put in. I guess it is an injection methed from the underside with a pumop. Not helping the consumer at all on this one,.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
If its not leaking why would you need to add transmission fluid?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: that is the part that kills me. A "friend " of mine pulled the plug thinking he was changing the oil. Now I am screwed
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
On most transmissions of this type there are fill plugs on the top of the transmission somewhere.On the side underneath there are check plugs.You could try finding those plugs and fill it back up with the engine running until it comes out the side plug and replace the side plug with the engine running.Then turn it off and replace the fill plug that would get you back to the dealer.The only other safe option I see is towing it to VW or a foreign car specialty shop(call in advance)to see if they can be of help.You are facing an expensive repair bill so proceed with caution.I would lean towards towing the car to be safe.I'm sure VW has special fluid also not just something off the shelf.If this answer has helped you please click on MY accept button.If you feel it helped you very much you may add a bonus if you please.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Thanks Davo. I am having it towed and tranny fluid added Monday. Bad weekend,.. Better week to come.

Thx