jon_050
jon_050, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Domestic and Imports
28561

1995 Ford Escort EEC code 214

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Escort wagon, 1.9L, that has a check engine light on most of the time. The EEC memory trouble code is 214, which decodes to "cylinder identification circuit fault" or "CID error" What function or component does this relate to and what would the further diagnostic or repair procedure be?
Category: Car
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.

This codes usually represents a sensor problem (this is inclusive of the sensors electrical circuit in addition to the actual sensor).

Before we go into more detail please include any symptoms you experience (IE- engines stalls when warm, runs rough only at stop lights and only when check engine light is on, etc).

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: The car sometimes runs a little rough and ocassionally stalls at a stop, usually for the first 10-15 minutes of driving, but it doesn't seem to always depend on the check engine light being on at the time. The light started to come on for very short periods about a month age and has gotten progressively more frequent with time as if some sensor was becoming worse. Sometimes the light will go out for a while during a trip while I am just driving at a constant moderate speed. I haven't noticed any signs of the engine overheating or excessive gas consumption, but haven't made an accurate MPG test.
Is there any test I could try or do something to the car that might help in your diagnosis? Ed
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.
I checked the prices and was surprised at the price of the sensor that typically causes this problem. Because the price is so low I recommend replacing the camshaft sensor (under $12 at my local autozone, the genuine ford part would be more). If this doesn't fix your problem let me know.
jon_050, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Domestic and Imports
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post: Jon, I finally eplaced the camshaft position sensor that you suggested for my Escort CID fault. It fixed the problem! The part was only $12 but it took all day to install because you have to remove the intake manifold assembly and everything attached to it. But the problem is fixed and I appreciate your advice. Thanks for your help. Ed Cook