Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

1993 Ford: Car starts..idles..tach reaches 2000 - 2200..Fuel pressure

Customer Question

1993 Ford T Bird
Car starts and idles, Engine shuts down when tach reaches 2000 - 2200. Fuel pressure problem? Electrical?
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Are you saying it won't go past that rpm mark?If so is that in neutral or in gear or both?What if anything has been done in an attempt to correct the problem so far?
Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
sounds more like fuel pump going bad, but one question first, will it stay at a idle without shuting off? if so than its not fuel pump. could be fuel regulator
Davo, is the man for this one let my answer pass please
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Okay, I have only let the car run in idle since my wife parked it in the driveway.
I spoke with my mechanic who can't get to it till next weekend...no good and he mentioned the same thing, fuel pump or regulator. The Autozone guy suggested buying a fuel pressure guage tester for $30.00 and test. |The car will idle fine, when I riase the RPM in park the car shuts off at just over 2000rpm. I have not tried to measure this while the car is in gear. I can do that. i am headed home now. I would like to get this fixed ASAP. I am a capable mechanic myself so I can home fix if necessary. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX this is a very cool web site. Not quite sure yet how it works yet, like, I choose who to deal with?
Anyhow, I am goin to look this up when I get home.
thanks
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Hey Davo, Sounds like Joe passed on this one although his assessment seems right also.
Can you see my other posting?
YOU CAN COUNT ON DAVO'S TROUBLESHOOTING HE IS REALLY GOOD. AND HAS HELPED ME OUT SEVERAL TIMES AS WELL.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Is the check engine light coming on while running??
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
What you are going to have to do is check and see if you are losing spark and injector pulse when its dying at 2000rpm.A noid light should be cheap at any parts sas should a spark tester.Does the tach drop to zero during the stall?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I drove the car down the block. When the tach hit 1900 to 2200 the car instantly dies. As long as I stayed away from 2000rpm Igot the car up to 50mph. I took the car out on the road to test this. When I turned back on to residential streets I hit the accelerator to test to see if the car would die and the tack went to about 2300rpm and did not die. Hmmm, so I tried to make it die and could not. We have been driving with no problem since then.
I am concerned with this problem occuring again. I do not have a problem paying for this service regardless of the problem seeming to either be over or intermittent. How do I select a payment to go to someone?
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Does the check engine light come on??? while runnig???
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Did the tachometer drop to zero when it died going down the road?I think you should hold off on paying any one until the problem pops back up or you add additional info to suggest an educated guess to keep it from happening again.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: No it does not and it seems the problem has gone away.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Yes, the engine dies and the Tach and everything else shyts down immediately.
Thank You for the feedback on applying payment in this forum as it is new to me.
I'm thinking the ignition module has a hick up in it?
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
If what you say is the case I would lean towards a module before I would be looking for a fuel supply problem.The modules that were used had problems frequently.If I were going to just try something to hope it never happens again it would be a module.