Joe Barcus
Joe Barcus, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  50 yrs old lol
83467

97 Dodge Stratus: overheating..the hoses..stop leak..radiator

Customer Question

I have a 97 Dodge Stratus with peoblems of overheating. I have cheacked the hoses for secureness, leaks, and wear and they are fine. I have used 2 tubes of barrs stop leak, replaced the thermostat, and fush and filled the radiator. I only heats up when i am idleing or at slow speeds or have the A/C on.
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
You need to check the engine coolant fan to make sure its working.If its not you need to repair it before doing any more driving.Your vehicle is prone to head gasket failure and overheating it isn't helping matters much.
Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
on some cars and im not sure if this is one, has two fans, a/c make alot of heat and takes alot of air to cool the coil. it only take a min or so to get things really hot. check & make sure your fan(s) are running
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: there are two fans and they ran. However, it seems as if the left fan may not come on when it needs to. I tried to make the car hot by idleling with the a/c on and when it started to get above the half way point on the temp gauge, i assumed that both fans would be running. They were not and when I tapped the fan with my hand it started. I don't know if this could be the problem, the one fan not coming on when it is suppose to or there is a deeper problem. thanks
theres no doubt that it is a fan problem, when the ac is on they both should be running, this is either a bad fan or a fan pressure swith on the ac system. you could hook fan up straight if you know how and see if it runs everytime, if so than its the pressure swith on your ac line. has to be one or the other causing your trouble. Joe
just a small note that the pressure switch is a common problem for chry products. have a great day. Joe
after re - reading your post about pecking on the fan, we better go with a bad fan or connections, try un pluging the fan and plug it back up you know sort of clean up the plugs a little than if you still have to peck it its the motor, by you pecking on it and it runs it show the voltage & ground is there just not getting to the windings. Joe
Joe Barcus, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 50 yrs old lol
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: i did as you said, unplugging the fan and cleaning it up a little. As of now, the fan kicks on when the A/C is on, like it is suppose too. Thanks for your help!
you are very welcome, good luck