Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

rear air in conv. van not working. no blower either.

rear air in conv. van not working. no blower either. fan blower had previously been somewhat noisy but only a small nuisance. now nothing at all. there is a speed selector switch that i can't get a voltage at. think i have checked fuses but not sure where a relay could be hiding. would compressor run without pwr to blower mtr?
Your rear A/C is simply a branchh of the main air conditioner. If you are getting cold air from the front unit, the compressor is operating. The rear may be getting cold also but without a blower motor, you won't be able to tell. Since you had a noise in the unit previously, I suspect the blower motor was going bad leading up to this. I would first access the rear blower motor and use a testlight to determine if you are getting power and ground to it. If you are, then the motor just failed. It's also possible that the excess current draw from the noisey motor could have overloaded one of the switches or fuses.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: there is no voltage at the 3 pin connector that plugs into the blower motor. I traced the 3 wires to what looks like 3 seperate relays just above the mtr housing. i have voltage at them but not through them. what triggers these relays, if that is what they are? Is there a compressor in the rear of my van, i thought there was, or does everything work off the one in the front?

You'll have to give me specifics on the make, model year and engine size before i can see if there is a schematic available for that but as a rule, the way they are wired is there is a front blower switch for the rear that can either control the rear or forward control back to the rear switch. There is usually a blower resister in the rear unit that reduces the current to change the blower speeds on signal from the switch.

As I stated earlier, there is one main compressor for the system and the rear unit is simply a second evaporator and expansion valve running off the main unit. The only thing separate are the blower and heater controls within that unit. The refrigerant is running through it at all times when the main unit is running. The blower is the only thing you can shut off.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
The van is a 1999 GMC Savana with 350. Geneva is the custom pkg, if that helps any. You are exactly right on the blower switches configurations. I believe the fan could have failed as you said, it probably needed to be replaced anyway, but with no pwr at the point of connection to the blower, could it have burnt something up on its way out? I have traced pwr back to those 3 relays(?) Wiring diagram would be helpful. Thanks

OK, here's a schematic for you. As you can see, the 2 relays are powered by 2 different fuses. The blower motor switch triggers the relays by supplying trigger ground which then sends the power through the resister and then on to the blower motor. I would suspect your problem is one of the fuses blown out. There is a main 30A fuse in the underhood center. The other is a 10A fuse in the inside box. This info should be able to solve the problem for you. I would appreciate you clicking on the accept button and leaving some positive feedback for me.

Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience: ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Excellent working with you, Hammer Time. found a single fuse blown that i still cant find on the schematic, but replacing it made the fan come on. I dont know how to give positive feedback to you other than this, but great help! thanks

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX was able to help you.