Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

How do i remove the rear speakers of a toyota 1990 corolla

Customer Question

Can't figure out how to remove the rear speakers in my toyota 1990 corolla. Can't figure out how or if i even need to remove back seat to get to the back dash.
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 11 years ago.
You should be able to access them from inside the trunk. There could be decorative covers hiding them but you can reach the wiring and attaching bolts from the trunk.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: I looked inside the trunk but metal is underneath the speakers to where i can't get to anything. I can see the bolts/screws but they are the wrong end to extract. The screws are going through some plastic clip that expands as you screw the screws. It appears the way to get to the screws is from inside the car but I have to remove the plastic housing to get to them. There was a screen protecting the speakers and I removed it but I still can't get to the screws. I either have to remove the housing somehow or take the flat dashboard out. There is a brake light mounted in the middle of the back dashboard I am not sure if it would help to remove it. Back to the original answer I cant even see the speakers from inside the trunk because of a secondary metal inclosure.

Are these aftermarket speakers? I'm having a hard time picturing the plastic housing your referring to. Are they surface mount type speakers that hhave been added on?

Do your rear seat backs fold down?

Here's some instructions I found that may help you.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

1. Remove the speaker cover on the door or back dash.

2. Remove the attaching screws for the speaker. Note location of speaker wires and .

3. Pull the speaker from its mounting surface.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: View of the speaker locations found on Corollas

To install:

1. Attach the speaker wiring to the back of the unit.

2. Position the speaker into its mounting surface and secure with the screws.

3. Secure the speaker cover. Check radio system for proper operation.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: My seats are suppose to fold down i think but i can't find the clips that my manual says are there. No I don't think they are after market speakers cause they have the same color of housing plastic as the rest of the car. It is more than just a flat speaker cover, it is more like a minature speaker box mounted not flush but on top of the dash board. The speakers themselves are flush with the dashboard but the protective housing is mounted on top of dashboard. The housing does'nt look like anything after market and there are no visible screws however there may be a way that they are just snapped on to something, i just did'nt want to break anything trying to get them removed to get to my speakers. If i get the plastic housing off i think I've got it licked. The diagram you have shown shows a more circular cover which is different than mine. My speaker covers are more like a little square box with a 5.25 speaker inside mounted to the metal in the trunk flush with the dash. Also not really related but my front speakers are not in my doors they are up under my front dash.
If the speakers are factory installed, then they will remove the way the instructions indicate. The covers should just pry off to access the screws underneath. They should be just snapped on.
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience: ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: Thank you Hammer Time, I will try to pry and unsnap the covers to get to the speakers. Do you know if it is worth my time to get to the speakers in the front dash? If i have to disassemble a bunch of front dash stuff to get to them I might just as well be satisfied witht the quality of the back speakers and fade to those.
I'm not entirely familiar with the front mounting. If there is a removable cover on the speakers, then they remove from the top. If there is nothing but perforations in the dash pad for sound, then they remove from underneath. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the front ones. Some positive feedback would be appreciated though.