Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

cables..Fusible link blew along with a couple other fuses.

Customer Question

I installed a battery and accidently reversed the cables. It was the wrong damn battery. Fusible link blew along with a couple other fuses. Now when I turn on the headlights the left turn signal on the dash stays on. I have either replace blubs or confirmed they are good. The problems seem to only exsist when the headlights are turned on. Certain lights will work while others do not. Right front turn signal bulb does not work when the headlights are on but it works when the headlights are off. Other similiar problems in the rear. Right side same side as the front.
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Check the common ground coming out of the R/F head light ( white with black stripe) follow it to ground. One of these two grounds seems to be lacking a good connection.

The ground for the right front turn signal also white and black meets with the ground for the headlight in a junction box and goes to the same ground.

Sorry I can't post the schematic it is in PDF and the site doesn't support it.

If that isn't the problem there is a solid state circuit called the combination meter, that may be causing the problem. That is the only other thing I see that the turn and headlights have in common.

Marc, Technician
Experience: 33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: Thanks Marc,

I have printed the information and I will gladly accept your reply. I do have one question. I had convinced myself that the headlight switch is the answer. What do you think.

Thanks again for the help.

Don
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

I don't think head light switch because it has nothing to do with the turn signals

That combination meter on the other hand is solid state and could possibly been killed in the flash -power surge ( transistors don't like reverse polarity)

If you have further questions please post back.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: Thanks again Marc...............You have been a big help.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 years ago.
Back to the basic..s. If you are sure you have replaced the fusable links and fuses that are blown then I would look very carefully at the bulbs in the right front and the right rear. It is possible to install an 1156 bulb in place of an 1157, or a 2056 in place of a 2057. A single filament bulb in place of a double. recheck the bulbs before you spend any more cash on other things.