Joe Barcus
Joe Barcus, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  50 yrs old lol
83467

99 chevy: 125,000 miles my aircond..mech..console switches

Customer Question

Hi I have a 99 chevy silverado 125,000 miles my aircond. has been giving problems local mech. replaced 2 pressure swithes accumaltor switch & dash console switches. Still have problems with unit working when I start up for a few minutes than compressor shuts off & works intermitenly . Can you help??   
Thanks Sonny Anaheim Ca.
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A BLOCKAGE AT THE ORFICE, IF IT CYCLES TOO MANY TIMES AT ONCE IT WILL LOCK OUT ALL TOGETHER IN THE COMPUTER. THAN YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE A BATTERY CABLE OFF TO RESET IT. YOU MAY VERY WELL BE LOW ON FREON ALSO, DID THE MECHANIC CHECK YOUR PRESSURES PLUS FEEL THE LINE AS IT COMES OUT OF THE TOP OF THE ACUMALATOR. THATS THE BIG SILVER THING NEXT TO THE COWL. TEMP NEEDS TO BE COLD AS IT COMES OFF OF IT. AGAIN SOUNDS LIKE A BLOCKAGE THOUGH
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: Hi Joe,
Thanks for your help, my mech did check the pressures & filled the freon. He said there were no leaks & system checked out good in that regard. Concerning the acumaltor, when the unit is working the freon line coming out is cold, and when it cycles off it is hot. Your point about the computer may be right on since he was having problems with the switch on the acumaltor not reciving power when the unit was turned on inside the truck. This led to his thought that the dash console was bad, although in retrospect it most likley is a computer type signal problem. Can you add anything THANKS SONNY
Sonny,
Thanks for getting back to me on this, Yes no doubt in my mind at all you have a plugged orfice causing the the trouble. If you mechanic could recover the freon and check the orfice you will find this will be correct. now if you see it plugged up with metal cuttings than that is more bad news of course. the cuttings will be coming from the compressor and thats always bad news. thats about all I can say at the moment. Hope this helps, only to add and I know your mechanic should know this. when you think theres a bloakage always attach your gauges on both sides when recovering the freon for sometimes if you only hook to the low side and take the freon down to zero, on the other side of the block is alot more waiting on you. good luck
Joe Barcus, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 50 yrs old lol
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: Thanks Joe,
Where is the orfice located,and what would cause this to become blocked, (other then what you stated about the compressor going out). Or do you think it would be a good idea to change out the compressor given the amount of miles on my truck. At this point I am losing faith in my mech. Since I have had to go back to him 4 times about this.

Thanks Sonny
oh I wouldnt lose faith in your mechanic just yet, he could be very helpful here, the orfice is located in the little line coming from the condenser. he will know where it is. and the only thing that would plug this up is cuttings from the compressor. or a hose failing you will see what one it is when you take it out, if its cuttings or rubber. you should at that time replace the compresor, ecumlator as well it also serves as a filter, and if you buy a new compressor they will require you to buy a new filter as well. also if you decide to buy a used compressor make sure your mechanic adds a few oz's of oil to the compressor before putting it on, it will have to be oil for 134a, again your mechanice should know about this. pull it apart first than you will know than whay steps you will need afterwards, if you are buying new items you could easy get into 500.00 here. again the orfice will tell the story
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks Joe this seems to be a great help, I let you know.

Sonny