Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

my mechanic told me..engine ran smooth..service engine soon..drove

my mechanic told me his computer said #6 missfire
He then changed that spark plug. For a few minutes the engine ran smooth, then back to runing very badly. The "service engine soon" light did not come on again until i drove it for another 30 minutes. I have 79K miles on odometer & told shuldn't need tune-up for 100K.
Instaed of trying to change all spark plugs to possibly having the same symptoms, I would like to change the coil for this cylinder only.
So my real question is "where is #6 cylinder and coil for a 2001 ford e150 v8 triton." And "how do I change the coil."

The coil is mounted on top of the spark plug , you need a 5/16 or 8mm socket and extension with a 1/4 inch ratchet.

Unplug the wires to the coil you want to change remove the hold down bolt, And sneak the coil out from under the fuel rail. Installation is reverse procedure.

2001 Ford F 150 2WD Pickup

Marc, Technician
Experience: 33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: got coil off but can't seem to get spark plug out. any suggestions?

What is the problem is it too tight?? if it is too tight warm up the engine first and this should allow you to take it right out.

If it is another problem please post back and i will do my best to help you out.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: after changing coil on #6 still had rough ride but not as bad. went to auto store to get platnum plugs but they were closed. is there something i can swap around or can i tell if a different plug or coil might be bad. Also the service engine soon light hasn'tgone out, does it on its own??

No the light has to be shut off with a scanner. All the coils are interchangeable,But I would take the truck for a ride first and see if the plug may be slightly fowled maybe it will clear it up by it self. Also if the garage scanned the engine and told you it was #6 missing that came from the scanner and it can pick up a miss you can't even feel.

I am getting conflicting info about clearing codes on book says you need a scanner another says you can do it by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds.

Be careful disconnecting the battery you might need a code for your radio anti theft it equiped

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
hey engineboy, it's been a week since you helped. the light has gone out by itself and it runs as smooth as a kitten sometimes. from 0-30mph runs great then runs like a bucking horse.
Sometimes, I start the engine, and think you were right about running the filed plug clean because for the whole time I'm riding, nothing is wrong. Another time I might start the engine, and it runs badly, and the "service engine soon" light comes on blinking for appox. 10 blinks then goes out for 5min. Could it be the fuel pump?
thanks for the help

The fuel pump will not set the light but you have a code in there if the light comes on get it read and post back I will try to help you get to the bottom of this.

Autozone stores will read the codes for you free.