Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

2000 528i: blew..head gasket..The BMW dealership said that the threads

2000 528i with 90K miles blew a head gasket. The BMW dealership said that the threads on the engine were stipped and I needed to replace the engine which is $9K. The service person at rxauto said this is very unusual for a BMW to have stripped threads on the engine block. Is there anyway to verify the dealership is shooting straight with me? Thanks Ron

Did they remove the cylinder head?Is it at their shop torn apart?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: I don't know. They said they had to take it down to find out if the threads were stripped. Should I call them and ask? What should I ask?
Thanks,
Well the point is they can't tell if the block threads are stripped without tearing it apart.Maybe what they were doing was warning you that it's possible they will find stripped threads upon disassembly.Im not a BMW tech so my advice is general.If your engine has an aluminum block and has high miles it's very possible that the threads could have corrosion in them and when the bolts are removed all the threads will be gone in the engine block.Aluminum(engine block) and steel(head bolts)can react with each other and cause galvanic corrosion of both components siezing them together.When you attempt to remove the bolt the corrosion rips the threads out.I have a feeling this may be what they are talking about I have seen it many times before.Your decision should be based on what they show you after its torn apart.You will be able to see if the threads are damaged with your own eyes.Make them show you the damage.Also ask them if there is any chance a thread repair kit could be utilized to repair the damaged threads to save the engine block.Heli coil is one brand and very common.It would increase the labor charge to install them but I'm sure it would be much cheaper than an engine.Helicoils actually make threads in aluminum and other soft metals much more durable but I don't need to go into details on that.If you need more info please ask.If this is enough info please click on my accept button.If you feel it has helped you very much you may add a bonus if you wish.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Thanks for the quick information