Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

95 Lumina Minivan

Customer Question

95 Lumina Minivan
Category: Car
Expert:  Maureen replied 11 years ago.
Blows fusable link connected to ignition switch (I replaced fusable
link with two fuse holders -one for each of the two red wires- for
convenient changing).

Initially, only one of those two fuses would blow, but now when they blow, they blow at the same time.

Blows fuses sometimes twelve in a row, sometimes goes months without
blowing fuses. Sometimes replace two fuses and runs fine.
Problem getting worse lately. More frequent and have to put in
more fuses to get it running. When fuses blow vehicle coasts to a
stop.

I understand the possiblility of a nicked wire, shorting to ground,
which could be anywhere. I know everything except the ignition
components, that run off the ignition switch, are fused
separately. So unless, there is a nicked wire between the
ignition switch and the fuse block, then the other components which are
fused would be ruled out as possibilities. This only happens in
the run position, so it wouldn't be the starter.

Is this a common problem with this vehicle? If so, what are the
possibilities? The engine has been missing lately, so it may
indicate a problem with this ignition component.

Recently have gone up to two 30 amp fuses, and have blown dozens of
pairs of 30 amp fuses. The vehicle is presently running.

(NNN) NNN-NNNNhome,(NNN) NNN-NNNNcell

Call me if you need to, and I'll call you back on my dime. Or, leave your phone number and I'll call you.l

Thank you,

Larry

Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
If I was checking this I would be looking real hard at the red wires between the starter and the firewall.If I didn't find the problem there I would look between the firewall and ignition switch.FYI I don't have a wiring shematic in front of me so I don't know what those fusible links are rated at but if you are bumping up the fuse rating you will either melt a wire and find your short really quick or you will start a fire and the van will be burnt to a crisp then you won't need to fix it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: problem only happens in run position of ign. sw.--never in start position.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Those fusible links at the starter run from there through the harness and through the firewall to the ignition switch.If they are shorted between the starter and ignition switch they blow no matter if the car is sitting still with the key out of the ignition.It seems like you have wires that have worn insulation and they only short from movement while driving.Eventually they shift back to their normal spot and don't short until the engine/transmission assembly shifts the right way.If you don't want to look for the short disconnect both fusible links at the starter and at the ignition switch and run new ones.Just make sure you fuse them to the original fusible link spec so you don't get a fire.Also make sure the new wires are at least the same size(in diameter)as the ones you replace.If you are going to cut and splice them please do your self a favor and solder the connections.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: There are no fusable links at the starter on this vehicle(that is only on vehicles with a crank trigger)The link NEVER blows with the ignition off or while starting! It only blows with the ign. switch in the run position-sometimes immediately after starting as soon as I go from the start to the run position and sometimes while driving.I removed all interior panels over ayear ago (they are still off except the dash board which I needed to reinstall to drive)-I have looked every where for shorts to no avail-I suspect a defective component-is there a component that is only on in the run position that could cause these exact symptoms? I know you are very qualified-perhaps I should have given all these details at the beginning.I appreaciate your persistance-perhaps we could talk by phone-I will call if you leave # XXXXX time to call.Thank you-Larry
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tropicalmoe's Post: I would like to relist because although I received " answers" they were not answers to the question I asked.Since I had already spent countless hours looking for shorted wires to no avail,I asked for possibilities other than a shorted wire(ie-a faulty device ).My question was not addressed at all! Please read my questions,answers,and replies and suggest how I might make it more clear,if you think this is the problem.I think you have a great service,but that I somehow slipped through the crack.Thank you for your consideration.Larry