Joe Barcus
Joe Barcus, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  50 yrs old lol
83467

92 Corvette: bushings going bad on the front end..my front end..rubber

Customer Question

What are the symptoms of bushings going bad on the front end? I have 92 Corvette.

I get a thumping sound under my front end (sounds like hard rubber hitting something) and I can feel it in my pedels, brake and gas. It does not do it immediately in the morning but seems to take driving 4-5 miles before it starts. It starts out soft and gets louder & harder as you drive. If you lightly touch the brake it will stop.

A week or so before this started, my service electronic ride control light came on and stays on. Is this related?

Someone told me it was no doubt the rotors. But if that were true why doesn't do it all the time?

Thak you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
HAVE YOU HAD YOUR ROTORS TURNED BEFORE? SURE DOES SOUND LIKE A ROTOR HEATING UP. OR BRAKE STICKING. NO DOUBT ITS ONE OR THE OTHER. THE REASON I ASK IF YOU HAD YOUR ROTORS TURNED BEFORE SOMETIMES GARAGES WILL GO BEYOND THE TURNING POINT MAKING THE ROTOR TOO THIN.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: If it is the rotor, why dosen't the sound occur at all times?

Also the noise does not sound like it is coming from the wheel!
its the only thing that makes sense, you only hear it when you are moving. has to be something going around and around, the reason it starts light then gets louder, it gets hotter. have you had the rotors turned? you didnt say if you did or not. does it make a difference in noice when you push the brake? noice travels it could be on the back wheel and travel toward the front, brakes & rotors are like that.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: No, I have not had them turned.

What kind of damage is being done while driving?

How much should I expect to pay to have them fixed?

Thank you.