Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

1990 chevy: rear brakes..somewhere..step reassembly diagram for free

Customer Question

i am trying to change my own rear brakes on a 1990 chevy cavalier...took photos before disassembly but now can't get them back on correctly...is there somewhere i can look at a step by step reassembly diagram for free?
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

INSPECTION

1. Remove the wheel and drum.

2. Inspect the shoes for proper thickness. The lining should be at least 1/32 in. (0.8mm) above the rivet head for riveted brakes and 1/16 in. (1.6mm) above the mounting surface for bonded brake linings.

3. Inspect the linings for even wear, cracking and scoring. Replace as necessary.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 11

The brake shoes should be replaced in axle pairs. Failure to replace the component in pairs may cause unequal braking action and premature wear.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

2. Remove the tire and wheel assemblies, then remove the brake drum.

If unsure of spring positioning, finish one side before starting the other and use the untouched side as a guide.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Use a commercially available spray cleaner to remove brake dust from the components

1. Using tool J 8049, J 29840 or equivalent brake spring remover and installer, unfasten the primary and secondary shoe return springs from the anchor pin, but leave them installed in the shoes.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Use a suitable tool to remove the return springs

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Unfasten the primary return spring, then ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: ... remove the secondary return spring

1. Remove the hold-down springs, and pins using suitable pliers or brake tool.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Use the brake tool to compress the hold-down spring and twist the plate to free the pin

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Once the pin and slot on top of the spring plate are aligned, separate the hold-down spring and pin

1. While lifting up on the actuator lever, remove the actuator link.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Lift up on the actuator lever and remove the return spring, then ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: ... remove the actuator link

1. Remove the actuator lever, lever return spring and the bearing sleeve.

2. Remove the parking brake strut and spring.

3. Remove the brake shoes, which are held together by the lower spring, after disconnecting the parking brake cable from the backing plate.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Remove the brake shoe assembly which is held together by the lower spring

1. Disconnect the adjusting screw assembly and adjusting screw spring from the brake shoes.

2. Remove the retaining ring, pin and parking brake lever from the secondary brake shoe.

3. Lift the wheel cylinder dust boots and inspect for fluid leakage.

4. Thoroughly clean and dry the backing plate.

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Exploded view of the drum brake components

1. Remove, clean and dry all parts still on the old shoes with denatured alcohol. Lubricate the star wheel shaft threads and transfer all the parts to the new shoes in their proper locations.

2. To prepare the backing plate, lubricate the bosses, anchor pin and parking brake actuating lever pivot surface lightly with brake lubricant GM part no.(NNN) NNN-NNNN or equivalent.

3. Install the parking brake lever on the secondary shoe with the pin and retaining ring.

4. Install the adjusting screw assembly and adjusting screw spring on the shoe and lining assembly.

5. Position the shoe and lining assemblies after attaching the parking brake cable.

6. Spread the shoes apart, install the parking brake strut and strut spring. The end without the strut spring should engage the parking brake lever and secondary shoe and lining. The end with the strut spring should engage the primary shoe and lining.

In the next step, the bearing sleeve must be installed between the secondary and lining and the actuator lever. Refer to the accompanying figure.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: View of the bearing sleeve location

1. Install the bearing sleeve, actuator lever and lever return spring.

2. Install the hold-down pins and springs.

3. Fasten the actuator link on the anchor pin. While holding up the lever, fasten the actuator link into the lever.

4. Secure the shoe return springs, using tool J 8057 or equivalent pliers.

5. Adjust the brakes using the procedure located in this section.

6. Aligning the marks made during removal, install the brake drum.

7. Install the tire and wheel assembly.

8. Carefully lower the vehicle, then tighten the lug nuts to 103 ft. lbs. (140 Nm).

9. Adjust the parking brake, as outlined later in this section.

ADJUSTMENT

The drum brakes are designed to self-adjust when applied with the car moving in reverse. However, they can also be adjusted manually. This manual adjustment should also be performed whenever the linings are replaced.

Marc, Technician
Experience: 33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Your answer has been posted with step by step photos and illustrations And step by step text
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: Thanks Marc, what a great help!!! I paid even though you told me the answer was free, it's all I had, wish I could have paid more! Thanks alot for being part of this network!

Jerry Doby
Doby Public Relations