Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

2002 vw jetta: brake pads..bleed..the line fitting, but the caliper

Customer Question

i am changing brake pads on a 2002 vw jetta and have removed a set of pads. what i am having trouble with is retracting the caliper to reassemble the caliper.i have opened the bleed valve and loosened the line fitting, but the caliper is not retracting. is something else that i need to do? jeffrey kovitch
Category: Car
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Front or rear calipers if rear is the Emergency brake incorperated into the caliper?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: these are the rear brakes, so the emergency cable is attached. the caliper is undone and i am attempting to push the piston back in for reassembly. the clamp slips off and the piston does not move.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
You have to screw the piston in to retract it (clock-wise) Be careful not to damage the boot.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: the piston won't budge, turning or retracting inward. i put the old pads back on and buttoned it up.thanks for the try, but i don't know what its going to take to get the piston to turn back.jeffk
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

REAR

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
  2. Remove the rear wheels.
  3. Remove the parking brake cable clip from the caliper. Disconnect the parking brake cable.
  4. Hold the guide pin with a back-up wrench and remove the upper mounting bolt from the brake caliper.
  5. Swing the caliper downward and remove the brake pads.

To install:

6. Retract the piston into the housing by rotating the piston clockwise.
  7. Install the new brake pads onto the pad carrier.
  8. Install the caliper to the pad carrier using a new self locking bolt or a thread locking compound and torque to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
  9. Attach the hand brake cable to the caliper.
  10. Check the parking brake operation and adjust the cable if necessary.
  11. Install the wheels.

12. If your caliper pistons won't move they are probably seized and you need to replace yopur calipers.