Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

dodge: diagram/instructions..van power window..regulator

where do I find on the internet a diagram/instructions to help me replace my dodge van power window motor and regulator? I have the parts. I am a divorced woman with a dead beat Dad. It has taken me a year to get the part.

Need a year make and model please.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: It is a 98 dodge caravan, Thank you for the help.

Here you go the manuel and power window are combined in the instructions just weed out the stuf that dosn't apply.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. If equipped, use a small flat bladed tool to pry out the courtesy lamp from the door trim panel and disconnect the lamp wiring harness.

3. If equipped, remove screws mounting the door assist handle to the inner door panel.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Remove the retaining screw at the bottom of the door pull cup

1. If equipped, remove screw mounting the door pull cup to the inner door panel.

2. If equipped, remove screws mounting the trim panel to the door from underneath the map pocket.

3. If equipped with a window crank, perform the following;

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Be careful, these clips can be easily lost. If they are lost, they are available at the dealer

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Using a special tool, remove the window crank handle retaining clip

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: When removing the window crank, be sure not to lose these trim washers

1. Using a special tool for this purpose, remove the clip that retains the window crank to the regulator shaft.

2. Remove the window crank. Be careful not to lose the plastic trim washer(s).

1. If equipped with power windows, perform the following;

1. Use a small prying tool to remove the screw cover from the power switch panel.

2. Remove the power switch panel retaining screws. Remove the power switch panel from the door trim panel.

3. Disengage the wiring harness connector from the switch assembly.

2. If equipped, remove the memory seat/mirror switch, using a small prying tool, and unplug the wiring connector.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the retaining screw located behind the latch release handle

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Using a special trim removal tool, carefully pry the door panel clips away from the door itself

1. If equipped, remove the screw holding the door trim to the door panel from behind inside latch release handle.

2. Using a special trim removal tool, disengage the clips retaining the door trim to the door frame around perimeter of the panel.

3. Lift the trim panel upward to disengage the flange from the inner belt molding at the top of the door.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Carefully pull the door trim panel away from the door ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: ... then disengage the retaining clip from the linkage rod ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: ... then remove the linkage rod from the latch handle clip

1. Tilt the top of the trim panel away from the door to gain access to the latch linkage.

2. Disengage the clip attaching the linkage rod to the inside latch release handle. Separate the linkage rod from the latch handle.

3. Remove the door trim panel from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Support the top of the door trim panel away from the door enough to gain access to the latch linkage.

2. Insert the linkage rod into the latch handle. Engage the clip that holds the linkage rod secured to the latch handle.

3. Place the door trim panel in position against the door and install into the inner belt molding at the top of the door.

4. Firmly push the trim panel against the door to engage the retaining clips around the perimeter of the door.

5. If equipped, install and tighten the screw holding the door trim to the door panel from behind inside latch release handle.

6. If equipped, install the memory seat/mirror switch.

7. If equipped with power windows, install the power switch panel assembly.

8. If equipped with a window crank, perform the following;

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Install the window crank handle retaining clip in place behind the crank handle. A special tool such as this one can be a great help when installing this clip

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: This is what the retaining clip looks like once it is installed in the back of the crank handle. Now the handle can be installed onto the regulator shaft

1. Install the retaining clip into the groove on the back of the window crank handle.

2. Hold the plastic trim washer(s) over the regulator shaft or on the window crank.

3. Position the window crank on the regulator shaft and push the crank firmly onto the regulator shaft to engage the retaining clip.

1. If equipped, install the screws mounting the trim panel to the door from underneath the map pocket.

2. If equipped, install the screw mounting the door pull cup to the inner door panel.

3. If equipped, install the screws mounting the door assist handle to the inner door panel.

4. If equipped, install the courtesy lamp into the door trim panel.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6

2. Remove the door trim panel and plastic sound shield.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Carefully peel the protective plastic sheet away from the inner door assembly. This will expose the location of the window regulator

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Front door inner belt molding removal

1. Remove the inner belt molding as follows:

1. Peel the upper corner seals away from the inner belt molding.

2. Pull the inner belt molding upward to disengage the retaining channel in bottom of molding from the door panel flange.

Click image to see an enlarged view
      Fig. 3: Front door outer belt molding location

2. Remove the outer belt molding as follows:

1. Roll down the door glass.

2. Using a hook tool, disengage the interlocking lip at the base of the inward edge of the belt molding. Remove the molding from the door.

3. If equipped, remove the radio speaker.

4. Position the glass to gain access to the front and rear regulator lift plates through the front and rear door panel access holes.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Separate the door glass from the regulator lift plate by disengaging clip

1. Remove the clips securing the door glass to the regulator lift plates.

2. Separate the glass from the regulator lift plates and from the glass run weatherstrip.

3. Insert the front of the glass between the glass run channel and outer door panel.

4. Remove the glass from the vehicle by lifting the glass upward and out of the exterior side of the opening at the top of the door.

5. Disengage the wiring connector from the power window motor, if equipped.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Window regulator mechanism mounting screws-manual window regulator shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Removal of the front window regulator and guide rail mechanism

1. Loosen screws attaching the front and rear window guide rails to the inner door panel.

2. Remove screw heads on the guide rails from key hole slots in inner door panel.

3. Loosen screws attaching regulator to inner door panel.

4. Remove the regulator from the inner door panel.

5. Extract the front and rear guide rails through the front and rear access holes.

To install:

1. Insert the front and rear guide rails through the front and rear access holes.

2. Position the window regulator in place against the inner door panel.

3. Place screw heads on guide rails in position through key hole slots in inner door panel.

4. Tighten the screws to attach front and rear guide rails to inner door panel.

5. Engage the wiring connector to the power window motor, if equipped.

6. Install clips that attach the door glass to the window regulator lift plates.

7. Install the glass through the window opening with the front inserted between the run channel and outer door panel.

8. Lower the glass downward into the door.

9. Install the ends of the glass into the glass run weatherstrip channels at the front and rear of door.

10. Place the glass in position on regulator lift plates.

11. Snap the glass mounting studs into clips on the regulator lift plates.

12. If equipped, install the radio speaker.

13. Install the inner and outer belt moldings.

14. Verify door glass operation and fit.

15. Install the plastic sound shield and door trim panel.

16. Connect the negative battery cable.

Marc, Technician
Experience: 33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.