Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

Serpentine Belt - Chevy Venture

Customer Question

where is the serpentine tension arm on a 2000 Chevy Venture?
Category: Car
Expert:  DCM replied 11 years ago.
It's located jus below the power steering pump, the tentioner arm is look like a long triangle shaped with the pulley @ the end, there and when you look @ it it may seems the bolt/nut where you can pull it to install the belt is inside out, If I'm not mistaken it's either the 3/8retchet it self or and allenwrench is what you can use to pull it, and if your in front of the car you'll need to pull it like your loosening the bolt/nut, it could be done too @ under the car, and if I'm not mistaken it's 15mm wrench will fit @ the nut/bolt behind the pulley.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.
It is just above the water pump pully and a little to the passenger side use the bolt in the center of the pully turn it counter-clock wise to remove the belt.

ADJUSTING

A single belt is used to drive all of the engine accessories formerly driven by multiple drive belts. The single belt is referred to a serpentine belt. All the belt driven accessories are rigidly mounted with belt tension maintained by a spring-loaded tensioner. Because of the belt tensioner, no adjustment is necessary.

Removal & Installation

See Figures 2 through 6

An underhood decal can usually be found indicating belt routing

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Typical serpentine belt configuration on a 3.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Typical 3.1L engine serpentine belt configuration

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Typical 3.8L serpentine drive belt configuration

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Use a wrench to disengage the tensioner. The longer the wrench the better leverage you will have

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: The belt is easily removed after the tension is released.

1. Many applications will have a belt shield for protection. This will have to be removed first to access the serpentine belt.

2. To remove the drive belt on a 3.1 L, or a 3.4L engine, use a 3/8 in. ratchet or breaker bar to unload the tensioner and remove the belt. On the 3.8L engine use an 18mm wrench is used to unload the tension.

1. Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to install the belt using the proper routing.

Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.