Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

1991 ford taurus: adjust..i have the manuel..car makes..high pitched

i am not much of a mechanic and i need detailed directions on how to adjust my fan belt on my 1991 ford taurus. i have the manuel but no idea what to do, and the instructions are for someone that already knows what every part and piece. is there any place that i can get maybe illistations and just really step by step directions on how to fix belts. my car makes a really high pitched skeak when i start it up and its getting worse and worse. please help

What engine do you have?
This is as easy as it gets.

ADJUSTMENT

Alternator Belt

2.5L, 3.2L SHO, 3.8L AND SOME 3.0L ENGINES

The V-ribbed belts used on these engines, utilize an automatic belt tensioner which maintains proper belt tension for the life of the belt. The automatic belt tensioner has a belt wear indicator mark, as well as MIN and MAX marks. If the indicator mark is not between the MIN and MAX marks, the belt is worn or an incorrect belt is installed.

3.0L ENGINE WITHOUT AUTOMATIC TENSIONER-EXCEPT SHO

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Loosen the alternator adjustment and pivot bolts.

3. Apply tension to the belt using the adjusting screw.

4. Using a belt tension gauge, set the belt to the proper tension. The tension should be 140-160 lbs. (533-711 N) for a new belt or 110-130 lbs. (356-445 N) for a used belt on vehicles through 1991. On 1992 vehicles, tighten to 190-210 lbs. (845-935 N) for a new belt and 140-160 lbs. (622-712 N) for a used belt.

5. When the belt is properly tensioned, tighten the alternator adjustment bolt to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).

6. Remove the tension gauge and run the engine for 5 minutes.

7. With the engine OFF and the belt tension gauge in place, check that the adjusting screw is in contact with the bracket before loosening the alternator adjustment bolt. Rotate the adjustment screw until the belt is tensioned to 110-130 lbs. (356-445 N) for vehicles through 1991 or 140-160 lbs. (622-712 N) for 1992 vehicles.

8. Tighten the alternator adjustment bolt to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm) and the pivot bolt to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm).

3.0L SHO ENGINE

2. Loosen the idler/tensioner pulley nut.

3. Turn the adjusting bolt until the belt is adjusted properly.

Turning the wrench to the right tightens the belt adjustment; turning the wrench to the left loosens the belt tension.

1. Tighten the idler/tensioner pulley nut to 25-37 ft. lbs. (34-50 Nm) and check the belt tension.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

When installing belts on the pulley, ensure that all of the V-grooves are making contact with the pulleys.

2.5L Engine

ALTERNATOR, POWER STEERING AND AIR CONDITIONING BELT

See Figure 1

1. Insert a 1/2 in. breaker bar into the square hole in the tensioner, then rotate the tensioner counterclockwise and remove the belt from the pulleys.

Be careful when removing or installing belts that the tool doesn't slip!

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Removing the belt from the pulleys-early 2.5L engine shown

To install:

1. Install the belt over all pulleys except the alternator pulley.

2. Rotate the tensioner as described in Step 1 and install the belt over the alternator pulley. Check that all the V-grooves make proper contact with the pulleys.

3.0L Engine-Except SHO

ALTERNATOR BELT WITHOUT AUTOMATIC TENSIONER

1. Loosen the adjusting arm and pivot bolts.

2. Turn the alternator belt adjusting screw counterclockwise until the old belt can be removed.

3. Remove the belt.

To install:

1. Install the new belt over the pulleys. Check that all the V-grooves make proper contact with the pulleys.

2. Adjust the belt tension, then tighten the adjusting arm and pivot bolts.

3.0L SHO Engine

ALTERNATOR BELT

See Figure 2

1. Loosen the nut in the center of the idler pulley.

2. Loosen the idler adjusting screw until the old belt can be removed, then remove the belt.

To install:

1. Install the new belt over the pulleys in proper contact with the pulleys.

2. Adjust the new belt to specifications as follows: Turn the idler pulley nut to the right to tighten the belt to a specification of 220-265 lbs. (980-1180 N). Torque the idler pulley nut to 25-37 ft. lbs. (34-50 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: 3.0L SHO accessory drive belts schematic

POWER STEERING AND AIR CONDITIONING BELT

See Figure 2

1. Remove the alternator belt.

2. Loosen the nut on the tensioner pulley.

3. Turn the belt adjusting screw on the tensioner counterclockwise until the belt can be removed, then remove the belt.

To install:

1. Position the new belt over the proper pulleys, making sure the V-grooves are properly seated.

2. Install the alternator belt.

3. Adjust the power steering and air conditioning belt to a specification of 154-198 lbs. (690-980 N) with a belt tension gauge.

4. Adjust the alternator belt.

3.2L SHO Engine

WITH AUTOMATIC TENSIONER

See Figure 3

1. Place a 14mm socket over the bolt on the drive belt tensioner and rotate it clockwise (downward) to release belt tension.

2. Remove the drive belt from the pulleys.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: 3.2L SHO belt schematic

To install:

1. Install the drive belt over all the pulleys except for the power steering pump pulley. Make sure that all the V-grooves make proper contact with the pulleys.

2. Place a 14mm socket over the bolt on the drive belt tensioner pulley and rotate it clockwise (downward), then install the drive belt over the power steering pump pulley.

3.0L Engine (Except SHO) and 3.8L Engine

VEHICLES THROUGH 1993 WITH AUTOMATIC TENSIONER

See Figures 4 and 5

1. Insert a 1/2 in. breaker bar into the square hole in the tensioner.

On the 3.8L engine, the tensioner has a 1/2 in. square hole cast into the rear of the tension arm directly behind the pulley. On the 3.0L engine, the 1/2 in. square hole is cast into the spring housing on the front of the tensioner.

1. Rotate the tensioner clockwise and remove the belt.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: 3.0L belt schematic-1993 shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: 3.8L belt schematic-1993 shown

To install:

1. Install the drive belt over all the pulleys, except for the alternator pulley on the 3.0L engine for vehicles through 1992, or the idler pulley for 1993 3.0L vehicles.

2. Rotate tensioner counterclockwise and install the belt over the alternator pulley. Make sure that all the V-grooves make proper contact with the pulleys.

3. On the 3.0L engine, install the alternator belt for vehicles through 1992.

4. For 1993 3.0L vehicles, install the drive belt over the idler pulley.

1994-95 VEHICLES WITH AUTOMATIC TENSIONER

See Figures 6 and 7

1. Using a 15mm socket or wrench on the attaching bolt, rotate the drive belt tensioner pulley clockwise to relieve the tension.

2. Remove the drive belt.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: 3.0L accessory drive belt schematic-1995 shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: 3.8L accessory drive belt schematic-1995 shown

To install:

1. Install the drive belt over all the pulleys, other than the drive belt tensioner.

2. Rotate the drive belt tensioner clockwise, using a 15mm socket or wrench, then install the belt over the drive belt tensioner pulley.

3. Make sure that all of the V-grooves make proper contact with the pulleys. Please click on my accept button if this helps you.

Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: I HAVE A 3 V6 ENGINE

Davo posted an very exacting directions for you covering all engines your not going to get any better then that unless he comes to your house and does it for you.