Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

1990 Toyota: that is intermittant..ignition key and the engine starts

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Toyota Pick-up EFI engine. I have a starting problems that is intermittant. At times, I turn the ignition key and the engine starts as normal. Other times, I get all the dash lights and indications that the engine will start, but, I here a click at the starter but the engine won't crank. However, if I smack the starter motor a couple times with a pipe or hammer while someone turns the key, it will start or sometimes if I just try again in a few minutes it will start. So far nine different "Mechanics" looked at it. I am on my tenth NEW Starter, I've changed the wires, changed the battery, changed the ignition switch, installed a heat shield around the starter and even changed the flywheel. Yet the problem persists.
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
have you checked the ground strap from the motor to the cowl? also is this a automatic or standard? either way you have a safety switch on the transmisson. not sure where they are located, but if its a automatic will be easy to locate. standard may be on the inside around the pedal. by you hitting the car with a pipe you can jar it in position to work.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: We have checked the safety switch which is activated while in Park or Nuetral. Found no problem there. The starter will engage when I hit the starter, not the car. I am not sure about the grounding strap, but the truck is at a garage right now I will make a phone call and have them check.....Grounding wires are connected.
well have you looked at the wiring harness that connects at the firewall. usally only has one bolt in it, sometimes connections fail in that area. if the starter isnt kicking in than it has to be a wire not getting its ground or +
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: The entire wire harness from the ignition switch to the starter has been replaced two months ago. If, you place your hand on the starter while the problem is occurring and someone attempts to start the truck, you can feel and here a thumping in the starter as if the pinion gear was hitting the flywheel rather than meshing the gears properly. However, the starter itself does not activate. It is as if the gear of the starter might be getting stuck in the out position on the flywheel. My thought was that was why when I smack it with something, it starts to work. The smack jars it free. I will double check the harness connection. Keep in mind that you can attempt to start the truck for hours with no luck, then come back in five minutes and the truck starts as if nothing was wrong.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Is it an automatic or standard trans?Where are you buying the starters?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Thanks for your reply.
It is an automatic. The starters have come from serveral different sources including Toyota. Four were purchased "NEW", six were rebuilds. However, two of the garages that worked on the truck are over 150 miles from the others, and one was a Toyota Dealership. So I dought they are using the same supplier for the starters.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
You must have a power or ground problem.An electrical motor that is operated with low voltage or current flow will overheat and burn itself out.I would replace the battery cables just in case they are corroded inside the insulation.The starter may not even be bad it could be a current flow problem.Be full aware that the gound path is just as impotant as the power supply.If you know how or the garage knows how some one needs to start voltage drop testing the electrical circuits on your truck.Please click on accept if this answer helps you.I f it helps you very much you may add a bonus if you wish.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: The entire wire harness and ALL cables and the battery have been replaced in April. The starter that is on the truck now has been put on three weeks age together with a heat shroud to keep any manifold or engine heat off it. I'm not real sure what voltage drop testing entails, but I do know they did alot of checking with an OHMS meter.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
The battery cables may have been replaced but if you are buying quality starters and not house brand junk you still have a voltage drop on the power or ground side of the starting system.If the engine has any aluminum components that could be the problem with a ground that can't flow current.If you bought a battery that is rated less than what the vehicle came with it could cause you problems.If the flywheel is not being chewed up there are only 5 things that cause early starter death.#1 low current to the starter(voltage and current are different)#2 cheap off brand starters to save money(never works)#3 misalignment of the starter with the flywheel(should damage flywheel)#4 Operator error(starting vehicle after its already running)#5 vehicle running at a temperature above the normal operating temp(overheating).