Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

2002 Dodge: autotap Scanner..haynes repair manual for 1996..plymouth

I just purchased an Autotap Scanner with inhanced codes for Ford, Chrysler, and GM and a Haynes repair manual for 1996-2002 Dodge, Plymouth,and Chrysler Mini-vans. I have worked on everything with an engine for 30 years. I got hurt about 6 years ago which put a stop to most of my physical labor. I bought a 2000 Caravan 3.0L new and in 2002 I bought my wife a 2002 Grand Caravan 3.3L new, both 4 speed automatic. I got the 5 year 100K mile warranty on both so I wouldn't have to work on them. Problem is the warranty is about to run out on the 2000 and there are so many rip offs and mechanics that don't know what they are doing out there I wanted to know what is wrong before I have to take one in. That is why I bought the loaded Autotap. I feel I need to give a little back ground. I am a mechanic and have degrees in electronics and electrical Engineering. I just have no experiance with OBDII and vehicals later than 1990. My daughters 1997 Grand Caravan 3.3L, 4 speed automatic has the check engine light on. The Autotap showed HP0067 in the DTC table twice. It says it is the ( Air Assisted injector Control circuit high). I can't find anything in the manual about this ( But the code) or on the internet where I have looked so far. There doesn't appear to be any driveability or mileage problems. Can anyone help me out while I am learning?

Greetings;

I am afraid that I cannot locate any such code or description in any of the diagnostic databases available to me, not have I heard of anything similiar before. The closest component I can think of would possibly be the idle air control valve. The computer controls idle speed by opening and closing a valve that bleeds air around the throttle plate in the throttle body; usually if there is any kind of problem with this component there will be idle speed related symptoms also.

In my experience, haynes manuals contain very little actual useful information; they are about a step above an owners manual in content. With your background, I am sure you can make use of the factory shop manuals for this vehicle; they will contain all code definitions, diagnostic trees, component locations, schematics, and preocedures for your vehicle. Chrysler manuals come in several volumes; one covers powertrain, another body (including body electronic systems), I think there is a transmission specific one, and possibly a couple others. I would sugggest you buy the powertrain one, I am sure you will be amazed at the content. This is the same information the dealer techs have to service the vehicle.

The manuals (if they are still available in paper form) are relatively inexpensive from the dealer. I used to buy them on eBay motors for about $15 a piece; I am sure if you check there will be several people with the manuals specific to your vehicle.

You are going to need to find a good, thorough tech to service your vehicle though; there are many things you can handle at home with basic tools, but there are many things that require specialized equipment or the Chrysler DRB-III scan tool to accurately diagnose and repair. many repairs these days involve installing software updates in various modules in the vehicle, even for such things as HVAC or interior lighting problems. By far the best way to find a good shop is by word of mouth; most peoare happy to relate their experiences, both good and bad.

Another thing you may have interest in would be to take a basic seminar in OBD-II operation and theory. If you ask at your local auto parts stores, tehre are usually a couple manufacturer sponsored one night classes every year on a variety of topics; they bring tehse from town to town at teh stores' request, and often tehy have difficulty generating enough interest to make the class worthwhile. In my experience, these are usually geared towards guys who have almost no experience, such as yourself; and would make a good basic starting point if you want to learn the basic components and principles of operation. They are also usually very inexpensive; usually in the $30 range in our area.

If you ahve a local Carquest parts store, I do know that they have available a whole library of home instructional materials, including dozends of training videos, free for the borrowing; perhaps if you build a relationship with someone at teh store or give them your buisness they would be willing to order a few in for you to take home and watch. Basic OBD-2 is included, I am sure.

Good luck;l I hope this is helpful!

Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: I would give Steve an excellent rating, but I elected to rate later and now I can’t find where to rate him? Customer