Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Bus Riding Pedestrian
Experience:  I learned so much about cars -- that I no longer drive one... ;-)
14607

93 Acura legend: randomly..alarm, must be an easy way to disable

Customer Question

How do I disable the built-in alarm in a 93 Acura legend - it goes off randomly, the car has 150000 miles, can't afford the dealer, don't need alarm, must be an easy way to disable?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.
I am assuming that you don't have the Owner's Manual -- which will, almost certainly, contain this information.

If that is the case, I recommend that you call, or better yet, visit
your Dealer's Parts Guy -- NOT Service Guide (whose job it is to get
you to bring your car and for repair).

My experience has been that most Parts Guy's are a bit lonely for human
contact and (perhaps because of this) are extremely helpful. He
may have access to a computer database of manuals which will have the
information you need or he may even have an old '93 Acura Owner's
Manual lying around.

If this strategy fails, this reference
(after you click it -- scroll down to the bottom of the page.) lists
both Owner's and Service Manuals for your vehicle -- or at least, it's
close cousin.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, thanks for the
opportunity to assist you... I would really appreciate your honoring my
efforts by 'pushing the button' and Accepting this answer. Adding
a bonus -- should you wish to do so -- is always warmly welcomed.

Good Luck!

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: This information is not in the owner's manual. It is not considered disablable by the owner. That's why I need inside info.
Just becuse information is not in the Owner's Manual doesn't mean
that it wouldn't be in a Service Manual -- or that a parts guy wouldn't
have access to it.

You appear to have blown off some logical possibilities. Did you try calling your Dealer's Parts Department?

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I am paying for a more specific reply than "go look in a manual" or "go ask someone else".   I could have come up with those options myself. I was hoping there would me an Acura mechanic with specific knowledge at this site.

As it is I found a 1/2-assed way to do it in another forum - if you disable the switch that senses that the hood is closed, the alarm will not arm - guess it waits for all points of entrance to be closed before enabling.   And for some reason, the "hood open" light is not on on the dashboard (it should be).    

Obviously this is not ideal as you would like to know if your hood is ajar, but it's better than random alarm incidents.
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Arrghh. I said clearly in the problem statement it was the built-in alarm.   That's the one installed at the factory. I agree it might be tough because it is an integrated system (uses the cars own computer, door sensors, lights, horn etc), so you cannot actually put your hands on it and yank it out.

But since it is the factory standard system (I don't believe it's even an option) and hence the same on all cars of that era and type, then an Acura mechanic would be capable of answering the question since this must come up at dealerships. or repair shops. (A mechanic I know locally said it is extremely difficult to diagnose intermittent problems with integrated alarms - there has to be a way to cleanly disable it permanently - unfortunately he was not familiar with Acuras).

You stated: "I am paying for a more specific reply
than "go look in a manual" or "go ask someone else
".
That's fine by me, it's totally your call as to which, if any, answers to pay
for.

You also state: "I could have come up with those options myself."
True enough, yet you apparently hadn't come up with these options.

At any rate, my only reason for presenting those, admittedly less-than-ideal
options -- was to give you some ideas and options -- in the
off-chance that you hadn't thought of them -- and, in light of the fact
that your question (which had been posted for some hours when I replied) did
not seem to be attracting answers from any mechanics -- Acura, or otherwise.

I assumed (apparently erroneously) that some possible way to find a solution
was better than no reply at all.

Perhaps, now that you have found a (albeit half-assed)
solution, you will reconsider following up on one or both of my suggestions, on
the outside chance that there really is amore complete and elegant solution out there somewhere -- even
if it doesn't arrive, nicely gift-wrapped, on your front porch.

Good Luck!

Steve