Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

1999 GMC safari Van: broken vacum hose from the manifold to fitting

1999 GMC safari Van A/C works but only blows fron defroster. Had broken vacum hose from the manifold to fitting near evaporator and repaired it but still does not work correctly. Where do I go from here?
If the heat will also only come from defroster, pull heater a/c unit apart to check door for objects holding door or sticking.
Defrost is the default position when the heater/ac cotrol unit no longer has vacuum present.This is done for safety reasons to prevent window fogging.If it still is on the defrost position I would check for further leaks before I ripped the dash apart.Then I would see if the vacuum was being directed to the proper actuator by the control head before I ripped I ripped the dash apart.Vacuum loss is the #1 cause of your symptom.Blend doors rarely fail on your model of van,if the control head has steady vacuum then I would look for a leaking vacuum actuator under the dash.If you need more help and you accept my answer don't close the question.I will see you through to the end of your problem.If my answer helps you please click on my accept button.If you feel it helped you alot please feel free to add a bonus if you wish.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: As stated earlier I repaired a broken vacum line from the driver side manifold to the passenger underhood near the evaporator with a spliced in rubber hose. Its a tight fit but I wondering if this rubber is collapsing, I also re-routed making the vacum line longer. Will check out probably Saturday. I have purchased 1/8 hard plastic vacum line will re-do the whole thing.
I understood the fact that you made a repair to the vacuum system and a rubber hose is generally enough.My point is the vacuum system does not end there and continues inside the vehicle.The actual fault may not have been found yet.Sometimes more than 1 problem exists so you need to follow through.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that I had better replace the entire vacum hose mainly because of the info you gave me and the fact when I repaired it the first time I could not see the entire vacum tube. After taking off the dog hose I spotted a second crack in the same tube I made the repair under the hood earlier. A/C work great.
Thanks...
If you felt my answer helped you would you be kind enough to go leave me positive feedback?I'm going to do the same for you.