Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

Nissan 240SX door window removal

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Nissan 240SX and am trying to remove the driver side door window to troubleshoot the motor. Last week the window just crash down. With the door panel removed I can see what looks like a snap cable. There are four set screws holding the entire window and housing in place. I removed the stops at the top. And removed the two nuts on the bottom set screws which frees the bottom of the housing bracket. But the set screws at the top applys pressure on the glass when I try to remove them so that I can lift the entire unit out. Is there something I'm not doing right? Do I need to remove the window seperately from the housing brackets?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

I am afraid I do not have any illustration to be able to see what you are describing, but in general most vehicles are built in a standard fashion:

If you examine the area where the window glass joins the mechanism that moves it up and down, there is always (in every car I have disassembled anyway) some nut, bolt, or other fastener that attaches the window glass or whatever metal strip it is glued into to the rest of the components. Often, if there are nuts fastening the glass in this area, they will line up with holes through the inner sheet metal for access at some point in the movement(usually with the glass up).

The window glass is always removed separately from the regulator (mechanism); on most vehicles, it is not necessary to remove the glass from the door to service the regulator; just unfasten it, slide it to the fully upward position in its channel, and run a strip of duct tape or two over from one side of the glass, over the top of the door frame, and down to the other side to hold it in place.

Now, you should be able to see whatever fasteners are holding the regulator to the door itself; if you remove these fasteners, the regulator can usually (with some contortions and choice magic words invilved) be removed through one of the large openings in the inner door panel.

If this is a cable type mechanism , as it sounds from your description, these are generally serviced as complete regulator assemblies. The new one will likely come with installation and adjustment instructions in the package.

I am sorry I cannot be more vehicle specific here, but if you feel this answer is helpful, clicking my accept button would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
by the way, if you are only trying to diagnose a window motor problem, it is not usually necesary to remove the motor to do so; any electrical testing necessary can usually be done at whatever wiring harness plug is next up the line in the circuit (door switch?)
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: Your answer is what I've been trying, there are no holes through the door frame to remove the bolts holding the glass doesn't matter if the glass is up or down. I have what appears to be a snap cable on the regulator. I know that it's a complete one unit regulator with the motor attached. In order to help me with my question you may need to see a illistration and the location of the bolts holding the regulator in place. The bolts at the top holds the window in the up position because as you screw them in to get the threads pass the door frame they tighten the guides on the glass. But I can't get them screwed all the way in pass the door frame to clear the way to remove the entire window with regulator attached. As I said early their are no guide holes in the door frame to remove the glass seperately. I need about1/4 inch to clear the bolts pass the frame, but i'm afraid that it may be too much pressure on the glass. I need to inspect the requlator to see if the snapped cable is repairable, the motor still funtion. Can you help with a better answer.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

I'm afraid that none of teh databases i have available show any illustration of the interior door components. You mention trying to remove the window with regulator attached; I suspect this is not the correct procedure; I have never seen any window that could be removed with the regulator attached to it. There must be some fasteners that hold teh glass or the strip it is glued into to teh regulator mechanism somewhere. There may not be any holes for access; not all manufacturers provide them.

Believe it or not, most professionals (other than possibly dealer techs) have no access to illustrations either for jobs such as this one. They usually involve a lot of cuts, bruises, and fumbling around untill you find just the right angle to remove hidden fasteners with your fingertips back in dark hidden recesses. I sympathize with you, but rest assured tehre is some way of removing the regulator...

(1) The regulator must be separated from the glass for removal, it cannot be removed with glass attached, I am positive. The window, if removed, is usually turned on its side and removed throuth the top of the door. Window regulators are removed through the side (panel area) of the door, not through the top.

(2) the screws you describe sound like pressure adjustments for the window weatherstrip or something; I suspect they do not need to come out unless I am picturing this wrong...

(3) On almost all vehicles, the window glass does not have to be removed in order to remove the regulator.

(4) On most regulators of the type you are describing, there are no independently serviceable parts; they are usually available only as a complete assembly (sometimes quite inexpensively too).

Sorry I can't be more help; there is no explicit repair information availableto me that I can forward to you here. All I can offer is advice based on past experience...