Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

Lumina: my service engine soon light turned..liter engine..auto zone

Customer Question

my service engine soon light turned on on my 1998 HCevrolet Lumina with the 3.1 liter engine, i took it to auto zone and they told me it was my crankshaft position center... how vital is this to the running order of my car and can it badly damage the engine if not repaired quickly and how much would it cost
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
It provides the reference signal for both the ignition and the fuel injecters. Without it, it doesn't run.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

The crank position sensor is a critical input to the computer; the signal from this sensor is used to calculate fuel injector pulse and spark plug firing. If the crank position sensor is failing, the car will generally be running roughly, stalling, hesitating, or be difficult to start.

The crank position sensor on this vehicle is not easy t change; if you are not experiencing any of these symptoms, only a light, then teh crank sensor may not be the cause of teh problem.

I would suggest taking teh car in for a technician to exvaluate before replacing any parts on this particular problem; there are other possibble causes for this code to set such as wiring harness abrasion or electrical interference from failing or misrouted ignition cables. The guys at teh Autozone store are not techs, just parts guys that have a code reader; they usually do not know very much about interpreting teh codes they pull and are famous for selling unnecessary parts.

I hope this is helpful and saves you money; if so, clicking my accept button would be most appreciated.... thanks!

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
There are always other possibilities for codes set that don't include the sensor itself. The question was "what was the pupose of the sensor and what will happen if it fails" Those questions were addressed. The second specialist is simply trying to discredit my answer as he has done on every one of my answers. He is a disgruntled person with an axe to grind and he should be ignored. Since I was the first one to give you the info you requested, I would appreciate you clicking on the accept button for MY answer.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: my car is shifting roughly while i am driving and it has been using a little more gas than usual... whatis the usual life for these sensors... i currently have somewhere around 179000 miles on it and it is a 98. what is the probability its that sensor
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Sensors don't have a specific life span. They are electronic components and will fail whenever the conditions are right. The failures are just random.