Joe Barcus
Joe Barcus, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  50 yrs old lol
83467

1995 Nissan: liter..automatic..driving home..my battery light came

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Nissan truck 2.4 liter automatic tansmission. Last night while driving home my battery light came on so I pulled over to look. Mistakenly I turned the truck off and the truck would not start back up. I towed it home and in the morning I checked all my wiring and it al seemed good, I checked my battery and it had 12.5 volts. I took the battery to get load tested and it checked good, I removed my starter and it checked bad, Replaced the starter and same problem. I here a click at reley but no start. I rechecked new starter and it checked good under full test at automotive parts store. Reinstalled starter and still no start. I have power at starter, starter good, battery good all wires good from battery to starter to alternator. I checked my ecu and there were very few answers their only some old codes for an leaking injector but this does not seem like it would cause the truck not to start. I am a diesel tech by trade and can usually fix my own vehicles but this time am really confused. Please help
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barcus replied 11 years ago.
sounds like possible ignition swith???
Joe Barcus, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 50 yrs old lol
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joe Barcus's Post: Well this might be it but when I turn the key I can hear the reley clicking like the switch is working. I can start there but I am not sure this is it If you could explain more why you think this is the problem I would greatly appreciate it
yea I can see your point, if you can get to the selnold jump across the big reds just long enough to see if starter bumps. also have someone hold down on the key and see if 12 vdc is coming to the little wires on the coil of the selnold if you see voltage there than that coil is bad. if you dont see anything on the selnold coil wires with swith held down, than its in the switch itself. good luck
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

Your truck has a starter inhibbitor relay it is powered by fuse "K" My schematic doesn't say where it is located but it looks like the relay could still make the clicking noise because half of the relay is powered by the Ignition switch Find that fuse and you found your prioblem there is nothing else in the starter circuit.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: Hey, thanks for that advise you were right it was just a fuse, I cant believe it was that simple, I started from the hardest to the easiest, backwards, any ways the fuse was hard to find becuase it was not listed as inhibitor but listed as "meter" on my fuse panel so that fuse "K" is meter which explains why my battery light came on before it happpened. Thanks again
Expert:  Marc replied 11 years ago.

If my answer was helpfull please click the accept button to complete the treansaction

Thank YOU

Marc