jims
jims, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  10 yrs combined mechanical experiance
165359

98 F150: with 4.2 L V6 and 5 speed trans..belt broke

Customer Question

I own a 98 F150 with 4.2 L V6 and 5 speed trans. The serpintine belt broke and the truck VERY quickly pegged out on the temp guage. It ran for 5 minutes with out the belt, and probably 1 1/2 minutes with temp guage fully pegged before I shut it down. I replaced the belt, but the check engine light remains on, and the truck stalls everywhere. I have to feather the clutch to get it to motivate. It just has ZERO bottom end torque. I see no oil in the water (or water in the oil) the truck idles normally and is not makeing any unusual noises, nor am I leaking ANY fluids anywhere...   tell me its a sensor or something. :)
Category: Car
Expert:  jims replied 11 years ago.
Can you give me the code's from the engine light. and check plugs by the belt area for unplugged or broken sensor plugs from the belt whipping around.
jims, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 10 yrs combined mechanical experiance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jims's Post: I'm getting a code scanner from freind and will email the results.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jims's Post: Every thing OK except the sensor closest to the Air Filter.. It was completely disconecteted... wiring looks OK.   Pluged it back in and got codes P0102 (X 2) Started, test drove, reset, cleared codes and did it again... got same code. Truck seems to have more motivation now but really doesent like to idle, particularly after "flooring" it at Idle. Going back to when things were simple this feels just like a vaccuum leak. Warped intake manifold? Damn I hope not.   Ideas?
Expert:  jims replied 11 years ago.
Expert:  jims replied 11 years ago.
please check things on list and run test as described in the last lines of dc6 and follow instructions I have more tests if needed. Also pay particular attention to the wiring by the plug if the belt took it off, wire could be damaged under the tape!
Expert:  jims replied 11 years ago.
If my picture does not come thru I will type it out.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
wiring "looks" good but will investigate furter with meter and follow insturctions (all of them are legible) you listed here. Much more than I expected !! I USED to be a "shade tree mechanic" but I never was a technician, particularly with the newer ECC rigs. Thanks a bunch. More $$ for you coming!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
jims,

Many thanks.. This was a little technical, but I managed. It turned out to be the MAF sensor. (no s___!) What I didnt relize is that the ONE connector actually has TWO connections. One for the power (data?) and another to keep the system enclosed (air tight)One behind the other esentially. Just because the thing is pushed in... DOES NOT MEAN ITS CONNECTED!!

Thanks for everything! How can I send you a few more bucks?

Chuck