joe small
joe small, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ase cert
188542

1992 DODGE CARAVAN: BEEN DRIVEN..STOPED..VAN..30 MILES

Customer Question

HARD RESTART ON A 1992 DODGE CARAVAN AFTER IT HAS BEEN DRIVEN FOR OVER 15 MILES & A WHILE & STOPED & TURNED OFF IT WILL NOT RESTART.IF THE VAN IS LEFT FOR 30 MIN TO AN HOUR AND THAN KEY IS TURNED IT RESTARTS. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO DRIVE IT ANY MID LONG DISTANCE OF 25 TO 30 MILES ONE WAY AS WHEN VAN COMES TO A FULL STOP.THE VAN MOTOR WILL GO DEAD. THE FUEL PUMP HAS BEEN REPLACED IN THE GAS TANK & THE TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN REBUILT. THE VALVES & VALVE COVER HAVE BEEN DONE ON THE MOTOR. THE VAN HAS BEEN TUNED UP REGULAR & THE OIL CHANGED ON A REGULAR BASIS. THE FRONT END HAS BEEN MAINTAINED & THINGS OF THAT NATURE. SO I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT I REPAIR WHAT EVER IT NEEDS TO KEEP IT RUNNING RIGHT.THE MECHANIC HAS LOOKED FOR LOOSE CONNECTIONS AND CORRODED WIRES HE HAS NOT FOUND ANY. MY GRANDCHIDREN RIDE IN THIS VECHILE WITH ME. SO IF YOU COULD TELL ME ANYTHING THAT MIGHT HELP ME I WOULD APPRECIATE THE HELP. I HAVE HAD IT TO MY MECHANIC SEVERAL TIMES AND HE HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO TRACK DOWN THE PROBLEM.I HAVE PAID OUT WELL OVER FIVE HUNDRED DOLARS IN THE PAST MONTH AND HALF HAVING IT CHECKED OUT & WORKED ON. I AM ON A FIXED SOCIAL SECURITY INCOME & AM ABOUT BROKE FOR THIS MONTH. FROM PAYING OUT REPAIRS BILLS ON THIS VAN. I AM LOST AS TO WHAT TO DO NEXT.THAT IS WHY WHEN A FRIEND TOLD ME ABOUT YOUR SIGHT I THOUGHT ID TRY YOU. ID BE WILLING TO PAY MORE FOR THE CORRECT ANSWER TO FIX THE PROBLEM BUT DO NOT HAVE IT THIS MONTH TO PAY OUT.THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME & HELP. GOD BLESS YOU.
Category: Car
Expert:  joe small replied 11 years ago.
if the van is a3.3l then what you you need is a ignition control module or if a 3.0l the computer is heat soaking