Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1992 Nissan: s engine at a care wash without leaving the car running

Customer Question

I recently washed my 1992 Nissan 240 SX's engine at a care wash without leaving the car running. The car now will not start. What could be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Well, obviously, it's wet. Take a blow dryer and dry all the wires real good. If it has a distributor cap, remove it and dry the inside. It will start after that.

If my answer was helpful, please click on the accept button.

Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

Realizing that not many people carry blow driers or long extention cords around to the car wash, there is a quicker easier way to get your wet engine started.

Remove the cap and dry it as best you can with a rag or whatever you have handy; do the same for the rotor. Then, take a spray can of WD40 penetrating oil, and spray a very light mist into the inside of the cap. If you watch, you will see any remaining moisture disperse into droplets. Wipe the cap out again, give it anotehr very light mist and reinstall it. Then, spray a light mist on the plug wires and boots. Wipe tehm down with the rag, and spray a light mist on tehm again.

Nine out of ten times, this will allow the car to start; it may run roughly for a while untill it warms up enough to allow engine heat to evaporate any remaining moisture away.

I hope this is helpful; if so, clicking my accept button would be most appreciated... thanks!

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Most households have a blow dryer in the house before having a product like WD40. The WD40 will help some is dispersing water but will not get the car started immediatly. The blow dryer will work perfectly and the car will drive like it never had a problem.

Please ignore the second specialist's feable attempt to discredit my answer. He is obviously disgruntled from other attempts at this tactic that failed.

Please click on the accept button for MY answer.