Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

chevy camaro: know how many bolts is needed to un-loosen..water pump

Customer Question

I have a chevy camaro z-28. I wanted to know how many bolts is needed to un-loosen for the water pump replacement..I have 5 out and pump is not even budging. What else is needed to un-loosen to take out. ty
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
What year, what engine?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: it is a 1994 Camaro Z-28, engine is 5.7 liter
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

I'm not sure what bolts your taking out there, but that water pump only has 4 bolts holding it in. You don't touch the ones in front. There's 2 on eack side to get the pump off. Here are the instructions.

5.7L ENGINE

See Figures 4, 5, 6 and 7

1. Unplug the electrical connector from the cooling fan.

2. For 1993-95 vehicles, remove the right side cooling fan.

3. For 1996-98 vehicles, remove both cooling fan assemblies.

4. Place a suitable drain pan under the vehicle, then remove the block coolant drain plug and the knock sensor. Drain the radiator.

5. Install the drain plug and knock sensor.

6. Remove the air intake duct and air cleaner.

7. Disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses from the water pump.

8. Remove the heater hoses from the water pump and throttle body.

9. Unplug the electrical connector from the coolant sensor.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: After disconnecting the hoses, detach the connector from the coolant sensor

1. Unfasten the retainers and reposition the ignition coil and bracket.

2. If equipped, remove the air pump and bracket.

3. Unfasten the water pump attaching bolts, then remove the water pump and discard the gasket. Remove the shaft coupling and water pump driveshaft seals, if necessary.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Unfasten the water pump retaining bolts ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: ... then remove the water pump from the front of the engine

1. Thoroughly clean the gasket mating surfaces

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Exploded view of the water pump mounting and related components - 5.7L engine

To install:

1. If removed, install the shaft coupling and water pump driveshaft using J 39089 or equivalent water pump driveshaft O-ring installer.

2. Install the water pump with a new gasket. Tighten the bolts to 30-32 ft. lbs. (41-43 Nm).

3. If equipped, install the air pump and bracket.

4. Reposition and secure the ignition coil and bracket.

5. Attach the coolant sensor connector.

6. Connect the heater hoses to the water pump and throttle body.

7. Connect the upper and lower radiator hoses to the water pump.

8. Install the air cleaner and air inlet duct.

9. Install the electric cooling fan(s), then attach the electrical connector.

10. Refill the cooling system.

11. Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and check for leaks.

Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
This information is obviously stolen from a service publication with no copyright information posted. This could open the specialist and possibly the site up to civil liability and should not be permtted... I am sure Tech501 would agree with this!
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Please ignore the comment from the previous, obviously disgruntled specialist. All info posted was "free to the public" information. If my answer was helpful, please click on the accept button for my answer.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Your answer has been posted. As soon as you post your deposit, you will be able to view it and accept the answer.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
ty 4 response, I will ignore that one comment from that person. Everything that was shown in diagrams I have done,honestly. We put it all back and did it again. It is not budging. Do you think the seals are that stuck from loosening. I grabbed the upper,drivers side, hose connector with all my strength. Not moving. Ive probably replaced over a dozen water pumps in my life,mostly family. Its just not movin at all !
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Once and a whikle I have to give it a tap on top to break it loose but I suspect you removed the wrong bolts. Get you head down there and look to see. It's really a simple pump.