Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1992 GMC: stay running..thottle plate it will run..injection..intake

Customer Question

I am working on a 1992 GMC blazer with a 4.3 vortec engine. The problem with that is i start it and it starts and will not stay running but if i poor gas or spray starting fluid in the thottle plate it will run untill the gas burns of. I changed the spider injection in the intake and i am not getting any engine codes. Can you help me.
Thank you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
What's the fuel pressure?
Does the check engine light come on for bulb check when the key is cycled on?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Hi, The check engine light dose come on when the key is turned on. I checked the fuel pressure and it reads 62lbs.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Go to the wiring harness leading to the injecters. Check for power at the red and white wires. If they have no power, check the ECM1 fuse. If they do have power then check for pulse on the DkBlu and Dk Grn wires. If you have both power and pulse, then that only leaves the injecter or plug to it.

Here's the schematic to help you. Please click on the accept button after viewing..

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I am getting pulse in the wire and the red wire has power to it. I took the injectors hoses out and cranked the engine and they all sprayed gas. I put it back togther and it still dosen't stay running. It just starts and shuts right down.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Then you need to stay with those tests a little longer and determine what is dropping out when the engine dies. I've seen oil pressure switches short and do that. You could try unplugging that.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Hi, I will try to unplug the oil pressure switch. The truck will run with it unpluged? That is about the only thing i haven't changed.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Quote:
The truck will run with it unpluged

As long as the truck has a good fuel pump relay.