Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

engine starts..restart..it starts fine and the same problem begins

Customer Question

engine starts and seems to idell fine, then after it seems to warm up temp gage to almost normal, the engine just stops. I can restart it and it runs for a very short time and shuts off and after I try t start it it gets harder to start again. When its cool down it starts fine and the same problem begins. Its a 250 Crusader engine for a boat but similar to a 350 chevy enclosed simular to a truck set up
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
The first step is to check fuel pressure and volume. It sounds like fuel starvation. Change the fuel filter and water separator. You could have a crack in the fuel lint to the tank causing it to suck air instead of fuel or the screen in the tank could be plugged up.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I've already done that are there any other suggestions. Bruce
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
OK, then what is it your losing? spark, fuel?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Thanks again,
I will pay you, I'm just trying to figure this problem out. The engine also did't turn over the other day when it easily started and then died as it got to average temperture, and then easily started for a short period and idled then died. It had a more difficult time starting after and easily kept on dieing. I thought maybe it was out of neutrel geal when it didn't turn over but maybe it was the coil or something. Any further help I could use. Thank You. Bruce
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

I'm asking you direct questions and your going off in another direction.

Do you have spark?
Do you have sufficient fuel volume coming out of the pump?
Is the accelerator pump squirting when the throttle is opened?