Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

My security passlock will not let my car start..chip

Customer Question

My security passlock will not let my car start. I have had the key checked and the chip is fine. They suggested that I by pass the security. Where would I find the security device to by pass?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
What goes bad is the sensor that reads the chip. You can either replace the ignition lock to repaire the problem or you can bypass the sensor. You have to measure the resistence in the key chip and buy a resister of the exact same value and solder it in place of the sensor. You can't bypass the whole system, just the sensor.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I know that you can replace the ignition, but I need to know where the relay is so that I can by pass the passlock. My wife has been getting stuck late at night because she has to wait until the car wants to start. This is not safe for her at all. When I spoke with the dealership they said that the key was fine, that there are 3 wires coming out of the cylinder and one is bad. That we needed to by pass this and then it would work. I need to know where it is located. Is it in the ignition switch or down the steering column or someplace else. I know how to by pass this, I just need to know where it is located.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

This system is integrated into the whole cars wiring. The only thing that can be bypassed is the sensor at the ignition lock that I already told you about. It sounds like what they are referring to anyway. I don't have the color codes handy but there are 2 wires going to the sensor in the ignitrion lock. The sensor is not reading the key correctly. You have to solder a resister of the exact same value as the key in place of the sensor between those 2 wires.

What are the year, make and model here?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: My car is a 1995 Chevy Lumina. I was shown a replacement ignition switch, there are three wires coming out of the switch itself. The tech told me that one of these three wires was most likely frayed and did not recommend replacing the switch, but rather bypassing the relay for the security system, which he said disabled the fuel pump and starter. I need to know where the relay switch is located, so I can bypass it. Because it is an older car I don't want to have to spend several hundred dollars for a repair that I could make myself.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

OK, this should be the relay your looking for (#1) but Istill think your on the wrong track. Your ignition switch should have 2 small white wires coming from it. Putting a resister between them is still the easiest way to resolve it.