Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1999 GMC: 2500 cargo van with 100k..truck runs..runs great..wont start

Customer Question

I recently bought a 1999 GMC savanna 2500 cargo van with 100k on it. The truck runs great and everything works except for one recent problem. The van sometimes stahls out and it just wont start. I try and start it an hour later and it starts and runs fine. It happens more often now. The problem first started about 6 weeks ago. I had the gas filter changed and the EGR and the relay for the fule pump changed. I am still experiencing the same problem. What should I do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Your going to have to do some testing at the time it isn't starting.

1. Check for spark at the plug end of the wire

2. Check for injecter pulse using a noid light. (shown below)

3. Check for correct fuel pressure using a fuel pressure gauge.

4. Once you know which of these is dropping out, you'll know which system is having a problem.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: There is a problem with doing these things.
I am not a mechanic and I can't do these things.
If it stahls and than I bring it to the mechanic they don't know what to fix, at least that is what they tell me. They want to keep changing very expensive parts.
If I bring it to the GMC dealer and it runs all the way there and doesn't stahl during this period what are they going to do? Aside from probably telling me I need about $3000 worth of work and a new engine. If I bring it to a regular mechanic they don't want to guarantee me that they can fix the problem, these guys are all crooks around here, even the dealers.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Don't blame the mechanic. Your problem is itermittant and he can't fix what isn't broken. The car has to be tested when the problem is occuring. If the problem can't be duplicated,then it can't be tested properly. I've supplied you with the proper diagnosis procedure. It's up to you what you do with it.

Unless you have other technical questions concerning this procedure, please click on the accept button.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Ok, here is the problem with pushing the accept button.
1. If I go to start the truck tomorrow and it works what do I do? Not everyone has the testing equipment, maybe you do but I don't. So when it doesn't start I will be in the same boat as I was before I asked the question on here.
2. I would like to have my truck fixed and don't expect to pay for unneeded parts over and over again. I already spent about $400 and I still have a not properly functioning truck.
3. When you go to the mechanic they ask you "what's the problem?" They all say "ok, we'll take a look at it and see what we find." Than I get the phone call telling me I need a fuel pump job that costs $600 but they CAN'T guarantee that the truck will be fixed after that. That is what happened last time I paid over $400, the next day it started again. How can you possibly stick up for a mechanic shop that you don't even know?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Sir, YOUR the one that has a car with an intermiittant problem. Don't blame the shops. I have given you the procedures to to properly diiagnose the problem. My job is finished. You now are obliged to accept the answer as you pledged to do. If you want ti use excuses to avoid paying, the records will remain here if you try using the site in the future. Whether or not you have the tools, wish to purchase them or trust the person that has them, I answered your question.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Yes, I am the one with the car that has the problem. I also am the one who PAYS the so called mechanics to fix the problems, and I did pay and have absolutely no problem with paying for the right job. I am not a mechanic, I am a person who needs their car fixed and I came here to get a realistic answer to "what I should do to get my car fixed" You have not given me, the person who needs the car fixed a realistic way of getting it done. You have given a mechanic a way of diagnosing the problem, remember I am NOT a mechanic. Do I bring my car to a shop and tell them how to fix my truck? Please tell me how to get my truck fixed without going out to buy testing equipment.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Deposits, Accepting and Paying Specialists
How much does it cost to use this site?
It is always free to ask questions on this site. Our specialists will do their best to answer you quickly. If we can help and if you haven't placed the deposit already, you must place a $5 deposit before you can read the answers. There are no monthly fees or other deposits to use this site. You can use this $5 to accept worthy answers.
Back to Top

When do I need to place the $5 deposit?
You can either place the deposit when you ask your first question or after a specialist has answered you. If you place the deposit up front, your first question will be given priority over questions from those that place their deposit later.
Back to Top

Do I have to accept an answer?
This system relies on the honor system and accepting responses is how the specialists that spend time answering you get paid. However, if none of the responses are acceptible to you, you don't have to accept them.

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

That's right, we can't make you accept the answer but remember, we do this on a voluntary basis and we track when a question hasn't been paid and don't be surprised if nobody answers your next question.

You asked what needed to be done to fix your car. You were told that. If you want advice, take it to the mechanic and leave it there until the problem shows up. I can't help it if you don't like your options, but the fact is those are your options, whether you like it or not. I did my job, you owe the accept.