Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1998 chevy k2500 4x4: rotors..axle..steering..knuckle

Customer Question

1998 chevy k2500 4x4. removiing brake rotors. axle bolt removed and the 4 bolts holding the hub assembly to steering knuckle. still not seperating. anything that I might have missed. rotor dosn't seem to come loose
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

The hub assembly is not removed. There are 2 types. One just slides off and the other you have to remove the wheek pearings. Here are the instructions for both..

K1 and 2-Series

1. Raise and support the front end on jackstands.

2. Remove the wheel.

3. Remove the caliper. Do not disconnect the brake hose from the caliper. Use a piece of wire to support the caliper, do not let it hang on the hose.

4. Remove the rotor.

5. Installation is the reverse of removal.

K3-Series

2. Remove the wheel.

3. Remove the hub nut and washer. Insert a long drift or dowel through the vanes in the brake rotor to hold the rotor while loosening the nut.

4. Using a puller, force the outer end of the axle shaft out of the hub. Remove the hub/rotor.

To install:

1. Position the shaft in the hub and install the washer and hub nut. Leave the drift in the rotor vanes and tighten the hub nut to 173 ft. lbs. (235 Nm).

2. Remove the drift.

3. Install the wheel and lower the vehicle.

Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Raise the vehicle. Support the vehicle with suitable safety stands.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Remove the brake caliper.
  4. Remove the nut.

5. Remove the hub/rotor retaining bolt

1. Using a wheel puller, remove the rotor assembly.
    2. Inspect all of the parts. Replace the parts as necessary.

Above is the description from tehs ervice manual of how to remove the front rotor on an 8600 GVW K2500 pickup; note it is pressed in place and a wheel puller is required for removal...

Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
I have posted your answer first. Please don't be swayed by another specialist trying to take the question. I was the first to answer for you.