Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

2003 Ford Focus: transmission fluid..resistance..my cars acceleration

Customer Question

What are some signs to let me know exactly when I need to change my transmission fluid? I have a 2003 Ford Focus, and lately it seems as if there is some resistance in my car's acceleration when I increase it. There also seems to be a low level sound (hum maybe?). I just know that it wasn't there before. It's also very slight (as in I doubt that a mechanic will really be able to detect it). I can detect it because I'm very in tune with my vehicle (I've had several times in the past when I've taken my car in because of some slight sound, and it was too faint for the different mechanics to detect but these sounds were always an indicator of a problem my car did eventually break down with.). I am on a limited budget, and I can't afford to keep fixing "possible" problems. If you can give me a specific recommendation and explain in detail why you are recommending this course of action, then I would be willing to pay you a bonus if I agree with your possible assessment. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. Could the drag on my acceleration be caused by wheel bearings/wheel balancing/whatnot?

Category: Car
Expert:  jon_050 replied 11 years ago.
Which engine do have (SOHC or DOHC)?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to jon_050's Post:

Jon_050,

I work during the day and I don't get home until some time after 8 p.m. every night, so any question that you ask me would not receive a reply until the following night.

As for your question--I don't have ANY idea what my engine is. Those letters you listed above are all Greek to me.

I can tell you that my 2003 Ford Focus is a hatchback. It's a 4-cylinder, but it's supposed to have a little bit more power than a regular Ford Focus. That's all I know. Sorry.

Not to be a pain in the butt, but I don't understand why knowing whether my engine is a SOHC or a DOHC has anything to do with my question posed above.

This is not rocket science. I'm not asking for something that is life and death. I'm just asking for an opinion, and if I find it to be sound, then I'll select that answer. Please refer to my first entry for the specifics of what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Mic

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
We can't tell you what's wrong with your engine if we don't even know what engine you have.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

Tech501,

I just want some general advice. What are the usual signs, if you were a mechanic listening to ANY car and ANY owner who described the kind of symptoms I've described above, of what could be wrong with the car?

At this point, it's all just speculation. I won't know for certain what the problem is until I go to a mechanic and find out for sure, and obviously, without seeing and checking my car, there's no definite way on your part of being sure what is wrong with my car either. That being the case, I just want your best GUESS of what could be wrong or best GUESSES, so that when I go to the mechanic, I have some idea of what he should be looking for (or I'll know whether he's talking out of his butt or not!).

So, again, I still don't see the relevance of needing to know my specific engine (Obviously, if I knew that myself, then I'd be a mechanic or someone knowledgable enough to fix my car myself.). General advice, guys. That's all I want.

Thank you.

Mic Sayre

Customer: replied 11 years ago.

Tech501,

Please make a posting on this site so that I can accept your answer. You made a free post, and I can't pay you until you make a regular post, even if it is just to say "Hi."

I am not paying you because I feel that you answered my question--I was wholely disappointed in this area and therefore, I will only be paying $5. I am instead paying you to 1) protect my accept rate and 2) because Jon_050 pissed me off with the private message he sent me. (I have enclosed a copy of my reply below because I can't make a comment on his posting above, but I do want it known on the website of how rude he was to me!

Thanks again.

Mic Sayre

REPLY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE:

Jon_050,

When I first started reading your message below, I found a few comments annoying (marked in green text), but I thought to myself, "You know what--even though this guy hasn't answered my question in the way I wanted, I will still pay him because he 1) took the initiative to contact me and 2) had actually done some research on my problem."

Then I kept reading and came to comments that completely pissed me off with their rudeness! (These are marked in red text below.) No wonder you sent me a private message. If I were you, I wouldn't want anyone else on the site to be in a position to see how truly insolent you can be! I'm still debating on whether I should post this message on the site or not because I am so angry with your horrible reply!

I will definitely be making a negative comment on your feedback form, and you've made up my mind to reward the other guy who had posted on the site. He may not have answered my question either, but at least he wasn't a total jerk about it!

Oh, one final thought--the last time I knew, if the customer is paying for a service and has set the perameters of what she was expecting, then it's not up to YOU to determine what she should accept or not accept. That is the very nature of this website--the customer picks the answer that is BEST for him or her--NOT the specialist. I hope in the future that you remember this little fact if you plan on getting more accepts of any kind!

Mic Sayre

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
I'm sorry you were so disappointed. We were asking for the extra info because engines can be designed differently and be equipped with different systems. When looking up any info or data on a specific system, the data base will always ask for the specifics on the engine before it will even let you into the data base. These noises and things can be coming from any direction and knowing what functions/systems the engine uses would help with that. Sorry we couldn't be more help.
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post:

Tech501,

I'm accepting your post only because I don't wish to mess up my accept rate. Obviously what I thought was a simple and straightforward question actually turned out to be far more complicated than I ever intended it to be.

I know what I wanted and needed, and I was very sure I had described what it was I wanted, and evidently that wasn't enough.

Whatever. The deed is done now. Thanks anyway.

Mic Sayre