Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

will turn over but on spark.

Customer Question

just put in a rebiult engine we did the work on it. will turn over but on spark. help, it could be a long,long walk home. auy sugustions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
Will need the make, model, engine size, and year of the vehicle in question before we can even begin to look for possible causes... Also, what method are you using to test for spark?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

This is a duplicated question and needs to be closed. Your just messing everybody up by having 2 going at the same time.

http://www.justanswer.com/forum_postsf.asp?TID=57136&KW=Customer&

Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

I would check to make sure that the crank position sensor was not damaged during installation, or that it is not adjusted too far from the flywheel. If the air gap is too large, it will not generate a crank signal to tell the computer to fire the spark plugs or injectors.

If this information is helpful, clicking my accept button would be appreciated.... thanks!

Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

You can do a quick test to check for injector operation if you do not have a noid light by placing a long thin screwdriver against an injector and cranking the engine while you have the screwdriver pressed to your ear; you should hear a clicking noise if the injector is being actuated.

If you ahve no clicking, and no spark, the crank signal is the most likely problem assuming everything was working well prior to engine replacement...

Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
That is just a duplicated answer from the customer's other question. The customer needs to close this question.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
And incidentally, I do not find having 2 questions open at once to be confusing... you can receive different advice from different specialists as to how to approach the problem. I would suggest paying whichever answer provides the most useful information...
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

As you can see, I am trying to be of assistance here; you do not need to close any question. The other specialist overposting me here is just blatantly attempting to "steal" any commission here. If it is imperative that you close one, i would suggest closing the other unhelpful answer (if you are too far from a parts store on a Sunday afternoon, you are too far from a parts store).

Check for spark and injector actuation; if you are missing both of these things, the PCM is likely not receiving an RPM input as it is used for calculation of both of these things.

You dont happen to have a scan tool available, do you? that would make confirmation easier...