Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

Dodge: throttle body..valve cover to intake box and updated pcm

Customer Question

Service engine soon lite was on. Took it to Dodge dealer. they performed throttle body fuel injection service, replaced with new hose from valve cover to intake box and updated pcm. light went off but came back on after 7 miles. went back to dealer. checked and found code PO301 three starts and started repairing itself with 1 global trip. updated controller and swaped injector and wires malfunction light went out but came back on. Went to another mechanic. tested and also code PO301 came up. put in a new coil pack. Service engine light still won't go off.
Then did a tune up put in new plugs and wires. Light went out and I drove car for 50 miles. This morning went to start the car and it won't start. nothing lights now but the alarm went off and only way to shut alarm was to open the hood. I'm running out of money on trying to get this car fixed.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

It sounds like your first problem with the PO301 has been resolved. I don't know what took them so long. Plugs and wires are usually the first suspect.

What you have now appears to be a problem with your aftermarket alarm. Unfortunately these are all different brands and it's hard to tell you how to resolve it. They are designed to "interupt" certain curcuits so you can't just remove it, you have to splice the circuits back together. You may be able to recognize these wires with matching colors but you could cause more problems than you have now. The module is usually under the dash, to the left of the steering column. The best choice may be to take it to an alarm shop and let them remove it.

If this answer has helped you, please click on the accept button.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: The car won't start so I can't take it anywhere. I shut off the alarm under the steering column but still won't work.Why would the alarm have anything to do with car not starting. nothing on the car is functioning.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

If the alarm is armed, it will disable the car. That's what it was put there for.

Possibly it's just a dead battery. Have you tried jumping it with another car? Make sure the cables are hooked up right if you do try.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: don't have anyone who can jump it so called AAA to come and try to start it but battery is only 1 year old
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
That doesn't mean anything. If the battery turns out to be dead, then we will pursue the reason. Let me know if it starts.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
AAA just came and jumped the battery. The alarm went off when he connected the jumper cables but then the car then started right up. so it's not the battery. he told me to run and charge for 1/2 hour. the air conditioning light is now blinking, but the switch for the blower is off. could anything be loose from having the plugs and wires changed? celonoid connection loose? if so where is?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: the car starts right up and have it on to charge. the air conditioning light is blinking even though the air conditioning is off. could it be anything electrical that is draining the battery or does it have to do with anything they did when they changed the spark plugs and wires. what do i do if this happens again tomorrow
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

You still need to have your battery and charging system tested along with checking for a draw. This is usually all combined into one test called a VAT test. That will tell you what is working and what isn't and whether it's safe to drive. It usually costs under $20.

If this answer helped you, then please click on the accept button.

Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance