Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

Dodge Caravan: I find the radiator fan relay..air filter

Customer Question

where do I find the radiator fan relay in a Dodge Caravan 2000, need to replace.

Was told is on the frame under the air filter, but I don't see it. Have the replacement part.
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
The radiator fan relay is a solid state type and is located under the left front headlamp module.

OPERATION
The solid state radiator fan relay is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) by way of a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal. The relay control circuit supplies a 12 volt signal to the PCM. The PCM then pulses the ground circuit to achieve fan on time. The relay provides a voltage to the fan motors which is proportional to the pulse width it receives from the PCM. The duty cycle ranges from 30 % for low speed operation, then ramps up to 100 % for high speed operation. This fan control system provides infinitely variable fan speeds, allowing for improved fan noise, A/C performance, better engine cooling, and additional vehicle power.

To control operation of the relay, the PCM looks at inputs from:

• Engine coolant temperature
  • A/C pressure transducer
  • Ambient temperature from the Body Control Module (BCM)
  • Vehicle speed
  • Transmission oil temperature

The PCM uses these inputs to determine when the fan should operate and at what speed.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: Thanks for the help. My husband asked me to find the answer to the question-- and you did. The diagram for the location is very clear.

Thanks again!!

Ron and Vicki
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

You are welcome!

If you found my answer helpful, clciking on my accept button would be most appreciated; we specialists are only paid when a customer accepts our answers... thanks!