Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

96 Taurus: It hesitates..pedal..surge

Customer Question

I have the weirdest problem with a 96 Taurus. It hesitates when accelerating but iuf I let go of the pedal and get back on it, it finally accelerates normally. I can also really step on it, which causes the engine to surge and get back to normal acceleration. This hesitation is usually accompanied by a "pinging" noise. I have replaced the PCV valve, the fuel filter, the Throttle Position sensor, checked the MAF sensor and nothing. A test of the EGR solenoid revealed that the resistance was 35 Ohms instead of the specified 20, but I doubt this is it. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
How did you check the MAF?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I cleaned it with Carb cleaner and, following Ford's TSB # XXXXX ran with the MAF unplugged. The hot wire element must be present because there is resistance and, according to the TSB unplugging it and letting it run under FMEM should resolve the problem if the MAF is faulty
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Yes, that should be true. I gather it made no difference to unplug it? Have you checked the fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Well I'm on a student's budget and the gauge is $40 at Autozone :)
I wanted to eliminate everything that I could with a socket set and a multimeter first :)
I am sorry but I left out the fact that the problem is much more prominent on a slope or, well, down here all we get are the ramps on 95, which is where it mostly does it, getting on 95 and passing cars on 95.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Although an inop EGR valve could account for the pinging, it won't cause the hesitation. What could cause both problems is a lean mixture. That's why I suspected the MAF first but low fuel pressure would be the second suspect.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Are there any other components that I should need to check?

Also, I should probably tell you that the hesitation is almost always accompanied by the A/C shifting to the floor.

I am sorry but I keep forgetting to mention things :(

A low fuel pressure would cause the problem but I don't think that can be it, since I replaced the fuel filter and it was WAY dirty. With as much dirt as that thing had, I could have turned a white beach towel to total brown. The new fuel filter caused no improvement, though.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
I can't go any further without knowing the fuel pressure.