DCM
DCM, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs Mechanic
157834

1989 BMW 735i: low beam headlights do not work most..few seconds later

Customer Question

I have a 1989 BMW 735i. The low beam headlights do not work most of the time. Sometimes they come on and then a few seconds later go back off. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  DCM replied 11 years ago.
Maybe the bulb is blown and every time the car bumps the broken springs that light up when you turn on the light hit the other end then it will be onn and off later on, If the light bulb is fine, then you have some loose connection that every time the car is in motion, the wire vibrates and make a contact then comes off again after a while. Check all the fuses if the fuses are all good and relays are find, then you need to track down the loose connection, my suggestion to you is turn on the head light open the hood then shake all the wires that goes to the head light and if the if the light goes on, then in that certain group of wire is where the loose connection, if you can't find it under the hood then try under the steering wheel, and test your light switch to maybe the loose connection is just right there.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to DCM's Post: It is not just one headlight. They both are either coming on at the same time or are off together. They are off most of the time. The fuses are good but I do not know which relay is for the low beam lights. A friend suggested that this is what fixed his but he does not know where my relay is. The problem seems to be worse in warmer times of the year.
Expert:  DCM replied 11 years ago.
The relay box is located under the hood, if you open your hood, if I'm not mistaken it's on the passenger side fender, it's a black box with fuses and relays inside.
DCM, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 18 yrs Mechanic
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to DCM's Post: I know where the box is but I do not know which relay is the one I need to replace. The wiring diagram does not say. I appreciate your help and will go ahead and accept it but I would appreciate it if you can tell me which relay is the right one.