Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1998 sebring: brake lights..bulbs..it is the signal flasher relay

Customer Question

The brake lights don't work. The bulbs are fine. We figure it is the signal flasher relay, but don't know were it is on a 1998 sebring...can you help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

On your 1998 CHRYSLER SEBRING, the FLASHER is:

BEHIND A/C AND HEATER CONTROL PANEL, IN CENTER CONSOLE

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: We are at a dead end, we are going to need to buy a manual, to figure out how to get behind the center console. We tried, but there must be screws hidden. I was hoping this was going to be an easy fix.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
They always hide screw. Look for pads at the bottom of cavities that can be removed or under ash trays or storage compartments that can be removed or along the lower sides of the console. You should be able to sneak a peak from the sides under the dash.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

Here are some instructions tha mmay help.

Sebring Convertible

See Figure 2

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Using a 2mm Allen wrench, remove the setscrew securing the shifter knob to the shift lever. Remove the shifter knob by pulling it up off the shift lever.

3. Remove the 3 mounting screws securing the rear of the console to the console bracket.

4. Remove the screw hole garnish cap and the PRNDL bezel from the console.

5. Remove the 2 mounting screws attaching the console to the shifter. Raise the parking brake lever to a 45 degree angle to allow for removal clearance of the console.

6. Raise the rear of the console high enough to access the console wiring harness connector. Disconnect the 8-way wiring harness connector.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Transaxle range indicator bezel removal

1. Remove the console from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Raise the parking brake lever to approximately a 45 degree angle to provide proper clearance for console installation.

2. Install the floor console into the vehicle. Engage the center console wiring harness connector to the vehicle wiring harness. Install the front and rear floor console mounting screws.

3. Install the PRNDL bezel onto the console and screw hole garnish cap.

4. Install the shifter knob down onto the shift lever. Install and securely tighten the shifter knob setscrew.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

Sebring Coupe and Avenger

See Figure 3

CAUTION

The air bag control unit is mounted beneath the center console. Use care when working with the center console assembly not to impact or shock the control unit.

1. Remove the center floor console assembly as follows:

2. Remove the shifter knob on models equipped with a manual transaxle.

3. Remove the shifter trim panel.

4. Remove the center instrument panel.

5. Remove the panel box from the console assembly.

6. Remove the two screws from the center of the console.

7. Remove the four side panel screws and remove the console from the vehicle.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Floor console component assembly-Sebring coupe and Avenger

To install:

1. Place the center console into position in the vehicle.

2. Install the two screws to the center of the console.

3. Install the panel box to the console assembly.

4. Install the center instrument panel.

5. Install the shifter trim panel.

6. Install the shifter knob on models equipped with a manual transaxle.

7. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: if i understand corrctly, the relay flasher is behind the a/c - heater, radio, cd player part of the console. That has a metal casing around it that we cant find a way to get past it. We even removed the dash and couldnt get to it
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

How about if you remove the radio and go in through there.

Here's a blowup of the diagram if that helps.