Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

91 toyota 4runner: brake pads..drove..then the steering wheel shakes

replaced brake pads on my 91 toyota 4runner, drove approx30 miles fine. I did not feel anything wrong but the next morning while turning a corner I heard a springy kind of noise for about 2 seconds it stopped as I proceeded I now hear noise and since then the steering wheel shakes really bad. checked the brakes seems fine as to the manual. It did help calm down the shaking but still feel it and I still hear a distinct noise now like a high pitched bleeng Could it be a brake problem or something else.?

Two possibilities come to mind from your description of the problem:

(1) A wheel not tightened correctly: retorque your wheel nuts to specs to make sure you don't have a loose wheel on the vehicle.

(2) A sticking brake caliper. When you installed the new brake pads you had to compress the caliper pistons back into their bores, to allow enough room to install the new pads. The pistons have not been that deep in their bores for many thousands of miles; if there is any sedimant or rust in the bottom of the bore, it can cause the piston to stick and not release fully when you take your foot off of the brake pedal. If a brake pad is held in contact with a rotor for an extended period of time, it will cause the rotor to expand and warp from heat, this can result in a shaking of the front end from the resulting vibration as the distorted rotor spins and presses on the brakes. When you installed the new pads, the pistons should have compressed fairly easily into their bores; if you ahd a difficult time getting them depressed or if they would not bottom completely and you had any difficulty getting the assembly over the rotor during asembly, that would be a pretty good indication that you may need a pair of calipers.

If you are experiencing any vibration in the brake pedal or floor that only occurs during braking, then the source of that vibration is most likely brake rotors with excessive runout or thickness variation.

Also, check to make sure any retaining slips and shims are still in position, and have not dislodged and jammed up a caliper or pad from sliding correctly in it's mounting bracket.

I hope this is helpful; if I have answered your question please click my accept button; otherwise please let me know what information I can provide to improve my answer. Thanks!

Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: One thing I forgot to mention is that the steering wheel is turning really easier than before such as turning around where before i would only have to turn the wheel slightly now i have to turn the wheel one time and 1/2 to turn around in the same spot. The shaking happens while driving wether or not i push the brake