Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

Garage..an ac belt tensioner and then the same standard belt that was

Customer Question

garage replaced AC belt. It broke and when I took it back to have it replaced they put on an ac belt tensioner and then the same standard belt that was broke. cost $ 193.18 I didn't ask for this only to replace the Standard AC belt what is the AC BELT TENSIONER and why would I need two belts on the AC????? My father said to have them only replace the belt and now I am stuck with a lot of money when their belt needed replaced. Mary
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
The tensioner is the spring loaded component that keeps tension on the belt. It could have been the reason for the belt failure
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: my problem is I just paid them over $1600.00 to change the water pump and fuel pump and a lot of other items. The belt was running good on the air until they asked me to use my truck to clean the whole engin because, they said my truck was in good condition for the miles so I allowed them to do this and I was only able to use the Air one time before it stopped. I think they may have done something to cause problems with the belt and from what my father said I only needed the belt put back on. I am ashamed to call him because, he is from a family or race car drivers his brother raced at Indy 500 and he always saids I get taken. I sorry but, can you answer the rest of this. I need an answer to give my father when I go home. Mary
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Belts do not just fall off. Something causes them to be thrown off and the tensioner is the most common cause. If the belt is stays on now, that would mean they were correct with their diagnosis.