Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

Cavalier TRAC OFF/hard shifting problem

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 48,000 miles: TRAC OFF warning light plus hard shifting until ignition is turned off and on. Cruise control is intermittant, and a strange chattering, clicking sound is coming from the transmission area after it warms up (speedometer is still working, but I plan on pulling it out temporarily to see if noise disappears). Pulled code 0122 TPS/pedal position sensor a low input. What could this problem be? Vehicle speed sensor maybe? What precedes the TPS/pedal position sensor that could be sending this low valued input signal?   
Thanks, Jim
If the TPS is bad or has a broken wire all of your symptoms will occur.The PCM could be at fault for the code but not very likely.I suggest testing the wiring and if you don't find anything there replace the TPS.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: I see in your other posts you have provided diagrams for various procedures. Would you happen to have a diagram of the location and replacement procedure for that TPS, and do ALL OBD2 cars have a DPFE sensor, and if so where might I find it. I ask about the DPFE sensor because on my surfing around the net I came across this post... "code p0122-low input from tp sensor. An open or short in the reference voltage wire (4-6 volts from pcm to tp) or in the signal wire (from tp to pcm) can cause this. One thing to try is to disconnect the dpfe sensor to see if the p0122 stays away with only a resulting dpfe code or see if symtoms change-the reference voltage (from pcm), for the tp is tied to the dpfe sensor and can cause this without a dpfe code.

An incorrect tp sensor like one for the wrong year/model etc can cause this.

Loose fitting female pins in the tp sensor connector can cause this-be careful not to spread them when testing with probes etc. Inspect pins." (some post...somewhere)
<This vehicle was a Windstar I was reading about with similar problems>

I HAVE disconnected/reconnected all the sensors I can find and the TRAC OFF/hard shifting problem hasn't returned. It was intermittant before however, so this fix may be temporary. If I get the warning light again I plan on tracing all those wires, and replacing that TPS (if need be). Can you show me that diagnostic/replacement procedure, with a picture of the TPS in question? I appreciate all the help, and will tell others of this site. As you can see, I am more of the shade-tree type of mechanic...although I am reading all I can about these sensors, since it seems they are here to stay...hehe

Thanks again!
Object Number: 783168  Size: SH

Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the air cleaner outlet resonator. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Resonator Replacement .
    Object Number: 783168  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

2. Disconnect the throttle position (TP) sensor harness connector (2).
  3. Remove the throttle TP sensor screw.
  4. Remove the TP sensor and seal.

Installation Procedure

1. With the throttle in the closed position, install the TP sensor and seal.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Important: Install a new TP sensor screw when replacing the TP sensor.

2. Install the TP sensor screw.

Tighten
    Tighten the TP sensor screw to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Object Number: 783168  Size: SH

3. Connect the TP sensor harness connector (2).
  4. Install the air cleaner outlet resonator. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Resonator Replacement .

Your vehicle doesn't use a DPFE sensor that is a Ford only sensor to the best of my knowledge.You should have 5 volts on the gray wire at terminal A of the connector.The black wire at terminal B should be ground and terminal C dark blue is the signal to the PCM.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Alright, just a follow-up. As I had imagined would happen, the problem came back. After troubleshooting the circuit, I replaced the TPS and all is well now. Thanks Davo!
Glad to hear its fixed if you like you can leave feedback that other customers can read.If your freinds stop by tell them to look for Davo.