Steve
Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

98 ford explorer: the starter just needs to be played with

Customer Question

I have a problem with a 98 ford explorer. Sometimes, the vehicle will not start. It seems the wire that connects to the starter just needs to be 'played with'. Every time I just get under the truck and press on the plastic cap that covers the wire, the truck starts fine. So two questions: 1)should I just replace the starter totally? 2)If I pull the starter myself to clean and tighten the terminals, will any fluid leak from the transmission or is it a pretty easy sqap?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.
These vehicles had problems with the small wire at the starter corroding/ not staying tight. Ford has a repair terminal available, should be in stoick at any Ford dealer...
Expert:  Steve replied 11 years ago.

Also, if you find that you do need to remive the starter for access, no fluid will leak out or anything... its a fairly easy job.

Here is the procedure:

REMOVAL

WARNING: WHEN PERFORMING MAINTENANCE ON THE STARTING SYSTEM BE AWARE THAT HEAVY GAUGE LEADS ARE CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY. MAKE SURE PROTECTIVE CAPS ARE IN PLACE WHEN MAINTENANCE IS COMPLETED.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.Remove the starter motor solenoid terminal cover.

1. Disconnect the starter wires.

1. Remove the nuts.
    2. Disconnect the wires

3. Remove the nut and the starter ground cable

4. Remove the bolt and the starter motor.

5. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order. NOTE: When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: Thanks for the input, we're almost there: Is this just a part that bolts on to the solenoid? Is there a part # XXXXX something I can reference to make the transaction with ford easier?