Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

1995 Lincoln town car: a 4.6L V8..crank..die

Customer Question

My 1995 Lincoln Towncar w/a 4.6L V8 just started having problems starting once cold. The car will crank over & then die out. Once the vehicle warms up there are no problems. The only way to get it to stay running while cold is to give it gas once cranked. It's like the choke is not working. Any ideas on what this might be & if a sensor might be causing this? And where are their locations.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Is the check engine light coming on?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: No, never.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

I would suspect a vacuum leak problem. Those engines are notorious for having a problem with rubber vacuum fittings on the far rear of the engine. With the engine idling. put the hands back there a feel around for the lines and fittings. You will hear the difference of you touch the hole. It's usually right in the corner of the rubber.

Also take a hard look at you ignition components like the plug wires. Ho long have they been on there. If over 50K, replace them.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I just replaced the plugs, wires, serpentine belt, fuel filter, & the vacuum hose from the PVC back & did a fuel injector system cleaning 1 month ago. I have already checked for vacuum leaks & didn't notice any. I will check again.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Was the problem there prior to the tune up. Did it start at the time of the tune up?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: It was there before. I just purchased it 1 1/2 months ago & it started rough when I first checked it out. That's why I did the tune up on it when I got it home.
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
Check you fuel pressure before starting the engine and monitor if it comes right up to pressure and stays there. A good commercial pressure cleaning iof the injecters may give you considerable benefit. It's very difficult to verify something like that without an exhaust analylizer but it's good maintanence anyway.