Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

99 astro: resistor..blower motor..the Service engine light comes on

Customer Question

i need help to find the ground wire and the resistor for the blower motor for a 99 astro. It's been in shop twice and each time they said it was just a bad ground wire. The symptom is that the high fan option does not work AND the Service engine light comes on. The prob. is fixed for both when they said they just fixed the ground wire. I would think that if it was fixed twice, the ground wire would stay grounded....don't you. They even said the first time they replaced the resistor. Being an electronics specialists for the last 23 years, I have figured out the resistor didn't even need replacing. Can you help me with location, I have found what looks like a transistor in the metal T03 style can...is that it and still what ground wire are they refering to? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX [email protected]....thanks for your time...Mel
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
The blower motor receives constant 12v and the switch supplies ground through the resister to vary speeds.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: that is not the question I asked, I need to know the location of the resistor AND the Ground wire IN Question....Please tell me this, the other answer is of no use to me..thank you,[email protected]
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.

The resister is located in the evaporator case between the blower motor and the evaporator under the hood on the passenger side. It's held in by a couple of screws. The whole resister is a ground circuit. One of the wires coming off of it is a ground wire and the switche directs the path through one of the resisters to that wire. I'm not sure exactly where on the vehicle it actually grounds but that's not important. If for any reason it's not grounded, it can be grounded anywhere.

PS, you should stop posting your e-mail address in open forum. We don't respond to them anyway.

Expert:  Maureen replied 11 years ago.
Additional email from customer:

Your answer about 12v always being at the resistor and it
controlling the speed of the blower is electronics 101-With all
due respect, most don't know this, but I mentioned that I am a
computer administrator with computer and electronic science
behind me now for over 23 years. That being said,

All I really need to know, a schematic would be really cool, is
where is the elusive resistor AND the Ground Wire that everyone
is talking about being loose or making a bad
connection....Thank You..For letting me ramble....Mel
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
OK< here's what you asked for. Can we accept the answer now?

See Figure 1

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Blower motor resistor mounting location