Tech501
Tech501, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  38 years exp, ASE Mastertech with L1 Advanced Engine performance
74686

to install a new ac condenser, now ac stoped working ?..10 sec.

Customer Question

I just had to install a new ac condenser, now ac stoped working ? undo batteryfor 10 sec. then the ac will work again. no codes will come up. working on a 2002 buick rendezvous also doorlocks will stop is this a bad relay ? please help..thank you k jones
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
It has codes in there all right. Your just erasing them every time you disconnect the battery. The computer is shutting down the system for a reason and your just overruling it. You need to get the code and diagnose the problem before it get worse and damages something else like the compressor.
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
I hope you are not trying to read codes with a code reader.It won't happen my friend.You need a scanner that can read body control codes.Out of curiousity how long did it take for you to change the condensor?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: I had a tech check for codes he told me that no codes were coming up ?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: I had it changed out at a local garage cost me $80.00 for labor
Expert:  Davo replied 11 years ago.
Thats very fair for labor in my opinion.Did they also evacuate and charge it for that labor price?
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
If the computer shut's the system down. It stores a code at the same time. Why don't you check to make sure they plugged the fans back in.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Davo/diablo666's Post: $35.00 for that labor part was $167.77. there is a bulletin out on a bad condenser but I wasn't under warranty, had to pay for it myself , autozone said no codes are showing, so just trying to find help I see why it stops working ?it might work for a day or so then stops, could it be a bad ground ? all fuses look good ??
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
There's your problem. AutoZone can't read body codes. All they have access to are generic powertrain codes. Your going to need a real scanner to get those. You really need to stop resetting that computer too or you fixing to do some more serious damage. Get the codes read and find out what's wrong with the system.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: fans are plugged in . could it be a ground? all fuses look good. didn't have a problem untill after they installed new condenser, could a bad battery cause this problem thanks you
Expert:  Tech501 replied 11 years ago.
I already told you what you need to do. I can't say it any clearer. The computer is taking over, find out why.