Marc
Marc, Technician
Experience:  33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
44459

1990 chevy: van 350 ci v8..replace alternator and power steering pump

How do I release belt tensioner on a 1990 chevy van 350 ci v8 so I can replace alternator and power steering pump?
<The oil pump is inside the oil pan you have to remove the engine to replace it.

4.0L SOHC (VIN E) and 5.0L Engines

See Figures 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9

The oil pump cannot be removed with the engine in the vehicle.

1. Remove the engine.

2. Remove the oil pan.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Remove the two oil pick-up attaching bolts (arrows)-4.0L engine shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: On the 4.0L engine, remove the eight ladder frame bolts in the oil pan area

1. Unbolt the oil pick-up tube.

2. On the 4.0L engine, remove the eight ladder frame bolts which were under the oil pan.

3. On the 4.0L engine, remove the two rear outer ladder frame bolts.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: The two rear ladder frame bolts (arrows) on the 4.0L engine use TORX® drive fasteners

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: View of the side ladder frame bolts (arrow) on the 4.0L engine

1. On the 4.0L engine, remove the seven LH and the eight RH ladder frame bolts.

2. On the 4.0L engine, lift the ladder frame from the engine.

3. Remove the two oil pump attaching bolts and the pump.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Remove the two oil pump attaching bolts-4.0L engine shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Exploded view of the 5.0L engine oil pump and pick-up assembly

1. Installation is the reverse of removal. Submerge the pump in clean engine oil to prime it. Tighten the pump attaching bolts to 13-15 ft. lbs. (17-21 Nm) for the 4.0L engine and 23-31 ft. lbs. (30-43 Nm) for the 5.0L engine.

<> < height=10>

<> <>

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: Marc,I dont need oil pump replacement, the power stearing pump and Alt are my problems. Bob
First of all, is your belt a serpentine belt? All in one? If it is then there should be 2 tensioners, 1 of which will have like a bolt end or nut in the center of it. This is the one that releases the belt. Find a boxed end wrench that fits correctly, and try to go towards the front of vehicle (depending on how the motor sits), if it does not move the tensioner then try the other direction. It will be very hard tomove since it should still have tension on it.
Marc, Technician
Experience: 33 years exp. automotive repair NYS emisisions repair cert.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Lori Benbennek's Post: Lori, It is a serpintine belt the only tensioner I see is left of the altinator with a round alumnimum body with bolt running thru the center with an arm going to the right with a black roller attached and putting the pressure on the belt. What is creating the tension (spring?) If I remove the bolt and get the unit off how do I re do it to create the tension again? Bob
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marc's Post: Marc, I can't open the blue sites. Bob

Serpentine Drive Belts

1. For safety purposes, disconnect the negative battery cable.

It may be necessary to remove the air filter housing to gain access to the belt tensioner.

1. If necessary, remove the air filter housing cover and filter as outlined in this section.

2. Tag and disconnect the hoses and loosen the housing retainers. Remove the housing from the engine compartment.

3. Using a 1/2 in. breaker bar with a socket placed on the tensioner pulley bolt, rotate the tensioner to relieve belt tension.

4. Remove the serpentine belt.

To install:

1. Route the belt over all the pulleys except the tensioner.

2. Place the breaker bar and socket on the tensioner pulley bolt and rotate the tensioner to the released position.

3. Install the air cleaner housing and tighten the retainers.

4. Install the air filter element and housing cover.

5. Connect the negative battery cable.

6. Install the belt and return the pulley to its original position.

7. Check that the belt is properly seated in each pulley.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 39: Rotate the tensioner with a breaker bar to relieve belt tension

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Marc I figured it out gould you resend info on PS pump? Thanks Bob

No problem you want the alternator too?

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 5

1. Disconnect the hoses at the pump. When the hoses are disconnected, secure the ends in a raised position to prevent leakage. Cap the ends of the hoses to prevent the entrance of dirt.

2. Cap the pump fittings.

3. Loosen the bracket-to-pump mounting nuts.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Removing the steering pump pulley

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Installing the power steering pump pulley

1. Remove the pump drive belt.

2. Remove the pulley with a puller such as J 25034-B, except for the 7.4L engine (on which the power steering pump pulley can be replaced after removal).

3. Remove the bracket-to-pump bolts and remove the pump from the van.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Location of the power steering pump pulley - 4.3L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Location of the power steering pump pulley - 5.7L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Location of the power steering pump pulley - 6.5L diesel and 7.4L gasoline engines

To install:

On 7.4L engines, install the pulley on the new pump with a forcing screw and washer tool (such as J 25033-B) before installing the pump.

1. Install the pump, then install the pulley on the new pump with a forcing screw and washer tool, then tighten all bolts and nuts securely.

2. Fill the reservoir and bleed the pump by turning the pulley counterclockwise (as viewed from the front) until bubbles stop forming.

3. Install the drive belt.

4. Bleed the system as outlined below.

BLEEDING

1987-95 Models

1. Fill the reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid remain undisturbed for at least 2 minutes.

2. Start the engine and run it for only about 2 seconds.

3. Add fluid as necessary.

4. Repeat Steps 1-3 until the level remains constant.

5. Raise the front of the vehicle so that the front wheels are off the ground. Set the parking brake and block both rear wheels front and rear. Manual transmissions should be in Neutral; automatic transmissions should be in Park.

6. Start the engine and run it at approximately 1500 rpm.

7. Turn the wheels (off the ground) to the right and left, lightly contacting the stops.

8. Add fluid as necessary.

9. Lower the vehicle and turn the wheels right and left on the ground.

10. Check the level and refill as necessary.

11. If the fluid is extremely foamy, let the van stand for a few minutes with the engine off and repeat the procedure. Check the belt tension and check for a bent or loose pulley. The pulley should not wobble with the engine running.

12. Check that no hoses are contacting any parts of the van, particularly sheet metal.

13. Check the oil level and refill as necessary. This step and the next are very important. When filling, follow Steps 1-10.

14. Check for air in the fluid. Aerated fluid appears milky. If air is present, repeat the above operation. If it is obvious that the pump will not respond to bleeding after several attempts, a pressure test may be required.

The procedures for maintaining, adjusting, and repairing the power steering systems and components discussed in this section are to be done only after determining that the steering linkages and front suspension systems are correctly aligned and in good condition. All worn or damaged parts should be replaced before attempting to service the power steering system. After correcting any condition that could affect the power steering, do the preliminary tests of the steering system components.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1987-95 Models

See Figures 2, 3 and 4

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Before removing the positive lead from the alternator, disconnect the negative battery cable:

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Be careful when removing the locknut, as the terminal stud sometimes will rotate with the nut:

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Remove the drive belt, loosen the mounting bolts and remove the alternator:

1. Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. On G-van models remove the engine cover and disconnect the air intake hose and resonator.

3. Remove the air cleaner intake duct.

4. Drain the coolant to a level below the upper radiator hose. Loosen the upper radiator hose clamp and disconnect the hose from the radiator and move it to one side.

5. Loosen the radiator fan shroud bolts.

6. If necessary, remove the windshield washer fluid reservoir.

7. If necessary, remove the hood latch cable.

8. If necessary, remove the radiator hold-down brackets.

9. Remove the fan shroud.

10. Disconnect and tag all wiring to the alternator.

11. Remove the alternator brace bolt and upper mounting pivot bolt.

12. Remove the drive belt.

13. Support the alternator and remove the lower mounting bolt. Remove the alternator.

To install:

1. Install the unit and tighten the lower mounting bolt to the following figures:

• All gasoline engines:18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)

• All diesel engines: 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm)

1. Install the upper mounting/pivot bolt and the drive belt.

2. Reconnect the wires at the alternator.

3. Adjust the belt to have 1/2 in. (13mm) depression under thumb pressure on its longest run.

4. Tighten the upper mounting bolt to the following figures:

• 4.3L engine: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)

• 5.0L engine: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)

• 5.7L engine: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)

• 7.4L engine:18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)

• Diesel engines: 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm)

1. Place the fan shroud back in its original position.

2. If removed, install the radiator hold-down brackets and the hood latch cable.

3. If removed install the windshield washer fluid reservoir.

4. Install the upper radiator hose, tighten the hose clamp and replenish the cooling system

5. Tighten the fan shroud bolts.

6. Install the air cleaner intake duct.

7. On G-van models install the air intake hose, resonator and engine cover.

8. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

9. Close the hood, start the vehicle and check for normal operation.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks Mark, I fee so foolish the belt thing was too easy. Bob